Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 9:40 a.m. CDT
The Iowa Supreme Court decision upholding the state's policy of disenfranchising felons could soon help send five of them to prison for voting. The court's 4-3 decision Thursday was a blow to five Waterloo...
- Court ruling a blow for 5 felons charged with voting in 2012
The Iowa Supreme Court decision upholding the state's policy of disenfranchising felons could soon help send five of them to prison for voting.
- Emerald ash borer found in Washington, Van Buren counties
State officials say an invasive insect that kills ash trees has been discovered in two more Iowa counties in southeast Iowa. That means the emerald ash borer is now in more than one-third of the state's counties.
- Retired professor suing U. of Iowa over search has died
A retired professor suing the University of Iowa for alleged open meetings violations during its presidential search has died.
- Deliberations to resume in Emmet County slaying
Jurors are expected to resume deliberations Friday in the slaying of an Emmet County man.
- Collision killed 3 in east-central Iowa, authorities say
Three people have been killed and three more have been injured in a head-on collision in east-central Iowa.
- Players have shot at $415 million Mega Millions prize
Friday night's Mega Millions drawing will give lottery players a shot at the 10th largest jackpot in U.S. history.
- Council Bluffs couple accused of using meth around children
Authorities say a Council Bluffs couple faces child neglect charges after their three children tested positive for methamphetamine.
- Ruling keeps Iowa's ban on voting rights for felons in place
For years, critics have regarded Iowa's policy of disenfranchising felons as an outrage in a state known for landmark civil rights rulings on slavery, gender equality and gay marriage.
- Man faces charges in stabbing at Des Moines YMCA shelter
Des Moines police say a man is in critical condition after being stabbed with scissors at a YMCA homeless shelter.
National News Headline
- Strike at Taj Mahal casino raises questions about its future
A strike against Atlantic City's most vulnerable casino on the biggest moneymaking weekend of the year raised fresh questions about the future of the Trump Taj Mahal.
- Woman added this week to FBI's 'most wanted' list arrested
The FBI says a Milwaukee woman added to its "10 Most Wanted Fugitives" list this week has been arrested in North Carolina.
- Tesla driver's death using car's 'Autopilot' probed by NHTSA
A driver with a history of speeding who was so enamored of his Tesla Model S sedan that he nicknamed the car "Tessy" and praised the safety benefits of its sophisticated "Autopilot" system has become the first U.S....
- The Latest: People 'duped' by law, attorney general says
The Latest on Mississippi's religious objections bill (all times local):
- Traffic deaths surged in 2015 as driving hit new record
Traffic deaths surged last year as drivers racked up more miles behind the wheel than ever before, a result of an improved economy and lower gas prices, according to preliminary government data released Friday.
- Man killed by bear experienced in the risk of the wilderness
The Montana man killed by a bear near Glacier National Park was intimately familiar with both the beauty and the danger of the vast, wild forest that spreads from the shadows of the park's rugged peaks.
- Uncertainty looms as Vermont becomes 1st state to label GMOs
At Mehuron's Supermarket in Waitsfield, manager Bruce Hyde Jr. said he and his team were ready for the state's new law requiring genetically modified foods to be labeled as such. But uncertainties abound.
- Obama urges Congress to pass Zika prevention bill
President Barack Obama says a vaccine for the Zika virus could be developed in "fairly short order" if Congress acts quickly to pass a bill to prevent the spread of the disease.
- The Latest: More workers join Taj Mahal casino picket line
The Latest on Atlantic City's main casino workers union and its strike against the Trump Taj Mahal casino (all times local):
- Charleston church shooting victims sue FBI over gun buy
The families of some of the nine people killed in a South Carolina church are suing the FBI.
- Remsen St. Mary's tops Woodbury Central; East and North split
See highlights of the Remsen St. Mary's, Sioux City North and Sioux City East baseball teams, plus check out Thursday's SportsFource Scoreboard.
- Explorers cap 40-inning series with win over Fargo
Jacob Kuebler, a pitcher, scored the game-winning run in the 12th inning as Sioux City topped Fargo-Moorhead in the series finale, 4-1 on Thursday.
- Explorers lose 5-4 in 17-inning affair; game two features weather delay
The Sioux City Explorers were not supposed to play a doubleheader on Wednesday but an American Association rule forced that outcome.
- Westwood outlasts MV-AO in Western Valley Conference tournament opener
Westwood beat Maple Valley-Anthon Oto 7-5 in 9 innings to open the Western Valley Conference softball tournament.
- SB-L doubles up Bishop Heelan; North holds off B-H/RV
Sergeant Bluff-Luton won both games of a doubleheader (3-2, 3-0) over Bishop Heelan on Tuesday in a Class 3A matchup.
- New Pacer Georges Niang introduced
Georges Niang spent the 2016 NBA Draft from the comforts of his home when the Indiana Pacers drafted him in the second round.
- South Dakota hires new softball coach
University of South Dakota Athletic Director David Herbster is pleased to announce the hiring of Robert Wagner as head softball coach.
- Lawton-Bronson tops Woodbury Central on baseball diamond
See highlights of the Lawton-Bronson and Woodbury Central baseball teams, plus check out Monday's SportsFource Scoreboard.
- Explorers blow out Laredo for series sweep
Sioux City scored eight first-inning runs, every Explorer in the starting lineup recorded a hit and Sioux City topped Laredo 12-5 on Monday, earning a series sweep.
- New Iowa high school baseball rankings released
Check out the latest Iowa high school baseball rankings, from the IHSBCA.
Headlines from KTIV News