Local News Headlines
- Iowa court upholds prison sentence in fatal crash
The Iowa Court of Appeals on Wednesday upheld a two-year prison sentence for a 21-year-old involved in the 2011 traffic death of a 14-year-old girl.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
Vice President Joe Biden is preaching populist themes during a visit to Iowa - an important early-voting state in the presidential nominating calendar. The vice president spoke today to about 200 Democratic activists on...
- Former Iowa mayor pleads not guilty to charges
The former mayor of a northeast Iowa city pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to charges alleging he sexually abused two girls.
- It's personality versus policy in Iowa Senate race
The race for Iowa's open Senate seat could be dubbed the Resume vs. the Personality.
- Disaster proclamation issued for 4 Iowa counties
Gov. Terry Branstad on Wednesday issued a disaster emergency proclamation for four Iowa counties in response to recent severe weather.
- Shirley Jones returns to Mason City
Actress Shirley Jones signed autographs and toured downtown Mason City on Tuesday during a stay highlighted by her performance in a concert version of "The Music Man."
- Small plane crash in Longville
A small plane crashed at the airport in Longville with at least two people aboard.
- Mississippi River mayors: new development fund
The mayor of Dubuque, Iowa, says a new fund will help with seed money for sustainable waterfront development in cities and towns along the Mississippi River.
- Biden: Troops not needed now, but will reassess
Vice President Joe Biden is apparently leaving the door open to U.S. ground troops helping Iraqi security forces repel Islamic State militants.
- In Iowa, Biden preaches populist theme on taxes
Vice President Joe Biden is preaching a populist theme during a visit to Iowa - an important early-voting state in the presidential nominating calendar.
National News Headline
- School district police stock up free military gear
School police departments across the country have taken advantage of free military surplus gear, stocking up on mine resistant armored vehicles, grenade launchers and scores of M16 rifles.
- Scientists monitoring Hawaii lava undertake risks
Scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory have been monitoring every twist and turn of lava creeping unpredictably toward communities in a rural and isolated Big Island district.
- Sheriff: Burned armpit hair led to Idaho car crash
A SUV full of teenagers crashed in Idaho after one of the passengers lit the driver's armpit hair on fire with a lighter, authorities said Wednesday.
- Texas executes woman for starvation of boy, 9
A Texas woman convicted of the starvation and torture death of her girlfriend's 9-year-old son a decade ago was executed Wednesday evening.
- Drag queens dress down Facebook over names
San Francisco drag queens are sparring with Facebook over its policy requiring people to use their real names, rather than drag names such as Pollo Del Mar and Heklina. But the world's biggest social network is not...
- Prosecutor may release audio of Brown grand jury
A prosecutor says he'll immediately release transcripts and audio recordings of a grand jury investigation into the death of Michael Brown if the panel doesn't indict the suburban St. Louis police officer who shot...
- Wallenda: Spectacle, legacy inspire Chicago walk
Nik Wallenda is all about spectacle, a showman who crossed Niagara Falls and an Arizona gorge on a high wire and now has his sights on Chicago's iconic skyscrapers - partly because of the city's reputation for...
- Officials: Wildfire destroyed, damaged 200 homes
Teams of firefighters went house-to-house on Wednesday to pin down damage done by a wildfire that officials estimated had destroyed 110 homes and damaged another 90 when flames swept through the small Northern California...
- Police: Ambush suspect was military re-enactor
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM Associated Press Schools closed, kids stayed inside and authorities chased down several false sightings Wednesday in their hunt for the suspect in a fatal ambush outside a rural...
- Most Alaskans to get nearly $1,900 in oil money
It's a highly anticipated day of the year in Alaska, when residents learn how much money they'll receive from the state's oil wealth savings account - a payout people receive just for living in The Last Frontier.
- Northwest Iowa All-Star junior golf team named SportsFource Champions
With more and more kids playing junior golf, competition among teams is higher than ever. One group of golfers in Northwest Iowa has made some noise in their first season, and are now on the brink of competing for a national junior championship.
- Northwestern & Dordt move in new NAIA volleyball poll
- Hawkeyes "got what they deserved" against Iowa State
Going into the football season, the only non-conference game most Hawkeye fans saw as a problem was Pitt. Saturday's game in Pittsburgh got a little bigger because the Panthers are 3-0 and averaging over 33 points per game.The Hawkeye offense is averaging 21 points per game which ranks 104th out of 128 FBS teams.
- Ranked volleyball teams from Dakota Valley, Western Christian & Unity Christian win
Ranked volleyball teams from Dakota Valley, Western Christian and Unity Christian were among the winners on Tuesday. Watch the highlights and see the SportsFource scoreboard.
- Iowa's Ferentz addresses scrutiny after ISU loss
The Hawkeyes play away from Kinnick Stadium for the first time Saturday when they travel to Pitt. Iowa is 2-1 after losing to Iowa State last week, while Pitt is 3-0. Iowa ranks 85th in the country in total offense.
- New Nebraska AP high school football rankings
See the Associated Press Nebraska high school football rankings in Classes A through D-2. The rankings are based on a formula that includes ratings from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star plus experts for each class.
- Boyden-Hull tops Okoboji to win Sibley-Ocheyedan Invite
Boyden-Hull edged Okoboji 2-1 to win the Sibley-Ocheyedan Volleyball Invite. See the highlights and the SportsFource scoreboard from Monday's action.
- MOC-FV grad Conaway wins Big 12 award at Iowa State
Iowa State freshman middle blocker Alexis Conaway has been named the Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week. The freshman from Orange City is now ranked second in the Big 12 in blocking across the entire season with 1.57 blocks per frame.
- Morningside moves up in NAIA football poll; Northwestern makes top-20
Morningside College is ranked second in the nation in the first regular season NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll released on Monday. The Mustangs, who were ranked third in the pre-season poll, are off to an impressive 2-0 start with a 56-14 victory at Valley City State and an 83-19 triumph at Nebraska Wesleyan.
- Iowa State players honored by Big 12
Iowa State senior defensive end Cory Morrissey and sophomore placekicker Cole Netten were honored by the Big 12 Conference for their outstanding performances in the Cyclones' 20-17 win at Iowa on Saturday.
Headlines from KTIV News