Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
A man is dead after police say he accidentally shot himself in the face inside a Des Moines apartment. Investigators believe Fabiano Aguiniga accidentally shot himself with a shotgun while five other people were in the...
- Forest City home fire blamed on space heater
Two residents have escaped injury from a smoky fire that damaged the basement of their home in Forest City.
- Rick Perry to attend conservative summit in Iowa
Texas Gov. Rick Perry will attend a conservative summit in Iowa next month.
- SC authorities place 4 disabled men in protective care
Four former employees of a Texas company that was ordered to pay millions for mistreating mentally disabled workers in Iowa have been placed in protective care in South Carolina.
- Supporters wonder about Iowa Juvenile Home's future
The future of the former Iowa Juvenile Home facility in Toledo remains murky, and questions about how the state will care for delinquent girls linger.
- Iowa flu hospitalization doubles in recent weeks
Iowa health officials say the number of Iowans hospitalized for flu complications has more than doubled in recent weeks.
- Dubuque Police to hold Citizen's Police Academy
Applications are now being accepted for the Citizen's Police Academy in Dubuque.
- Des Moines police chief candidates narrowed to 8
The list of candidates to be the next Des Moines police chief has been narrowed to eight.
- This Hour: Latest Iowa news, sports, business and entertainment
A Libertarian candidate running for the Iowa Senate seat vacated by U.S. Senator-elect Joni Ernst will stand trial January 14th for misdemeanor sexual assault in Nebraska.
- Grassley: Holder will review Iowa man's drowning
U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley says U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder will personally review the case of an Iowa man who drowned while in a Missouri state trooper's custody.
National News Headline
- Neighbor talks about shooting before NYPD killings
The ex-girlfriend of the man who ambushed two NYPD officers screamed for help after she was shot, banged on a neighbor's door and said: "I can't die like this, please please help me," according to the neighbor who...
- Police departments on alert after cop killings
Big-city police departments and union leaders around the country are warning the rank and file to wear bulletproof vests and avoid making inflammatory posts on social media in the days after a man ambushed two officers and...
- Ariz. sheriff aims to halt Obama immigration order
A gadfly attorney and an Arizona county sheriff want to halt President Barack Obama's immigration order in the first courtroom battle over an initiative designed to spare nearly 5 million people from deportation.
- AP poll: Police killings of blacks voted top story of 2014
The police killings of unarmed blacks in Ferguson, Missouri, and elsewhere - and the investigations and tumultuous protests they inspired - was the top news story of 2014, according to The Associated Press' annual poll...
- Young immigrants to line up for driver's licenses
Many young immigrants who are protected from deportation under new Obama administration policies are expected Monday to begin pursuing Arizona driver's licenses.
- AP: Abused kids die as authorities fail to protect
At least 786 children died of abuse or neglect in the U.S. in a six-year span in plain view of child protection authorities - many of them beaten, starved or left alone to drown while agencies had good reason to know they...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4 deaths
Health officials are warning consumers to avoid prepackaged caramel apples because they are linked to four deaths and more than two dozen illnesses in 10 states.
- Man who helped subdue gunman among Carnegie Heroes
The parks director of a Pennsylvania township who helped subdue a gunman charged with killing three people at a municipal meeting last year is among 19 people being honored with medals and cash from the Pittsburgh-based...
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
Boxing great Muhammad Ali was hospitalized with a mild case of pneumonia that was caught early and should result in a short hospital stay, an Ali spokesman said Saturday night.
- US mulls putting NKorea on terrorism sponsor list
President Barack Obama says the United States is reviewing whether to put North Korea back on its list of state sponsors of terrorism as Washington decides how to respond to what he calls an "act of cybervandalism," not...
- Coyote women top North Dakota in border battle
Raeshel Contreras scored 29 points, Nicole Seekamp added 17 points and South Dakota topped North Dakota on Sunday, 86-81.
- Northern Iowa's defense stifles Iowa in second half of Big Four win
Northern Iowa can officially claim that they're at least the second best college basketball team in Iowa. The Panthers beat Iowa Saturday at the Big Four Classic behind a great defensive performance.
- McKay impresses in Iowa State debut
Iowa State topped Drake 83-54 Saturday. The Cyclones were paced by Naz Long's 13 points, but a lot of attention was given to ISU's Jameel McKay, a transfer from Marquette.
- Iowa State beats Drake in McKay's debut
Naz Long scored 13 points, Monte Morris had 12 and 13th-ranked Iowa State routed Drake 83-54 on Saturday.
- Heelan, Crofton girls post wins; Western falls
Check out the SportsFource Scoreboard from a busy Saturday night.
- Briar Cliff men and women pick up wins over Nebraska Wesleyan
Briar Cliff posted a sweep of Nebraska Wesleyan on Saturday with the men winning 97-88 and the women dropping the Prairie Wolves 91-41.
- Iowa scores 15 second-half points, falls to UNI in Big Four Classic
Paul Jesperson scored 10 points and Northern Iowa rallied to beat Iowa 56-44 on Saturday in Des Moines and improve to 10-1.
- South Sioux City hosts wrestling invitational
Results from the South Sioux City Invitational.
- SportsFource Extra; Friday edition
Watch highlights of 11 Siouxland athletic events from Friday and see the SportsFource scoreboard from Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota.
- Buzzer beater by Bos leads Coyotes past Montana State
Brandon Bos hit a game-winning, 15-foot jumper just off the right elbow with two seconds left to give South Dakota a 55-53 win against Montana State Thursday inside the DakotaDome. It ended a three-game skid for the Coyotes.
Headlines from KTIV News