Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 3:40 p.m. CDT
A police officer testified that when he arrived at a deadly shooting of a woman in Hampton last December, the victim's boyfriend was hunched at the end of a couch and stated he'd killed her. The Globe Gazette...
- Officer testifies that man admitted killing woman in Hampton
A police officer testified that when he arrived at a deadly shooting of a woman in Hampton last December, the victim's boyfriend was hunched at the end of a couch and stated he'd killed her.
- Lawsuit claims police were duped in Iowa jury tampering case
An Iowa lawyer is suing police and prosecutors whom he claims falsely accused him of threatening jurors and witnesses.
- Feds force Waterloo to close yard waste dump, official says
A city official says federal flood levee rules are forcing Waterloo to close its yard waste dump.
- 2 occupants hospitalized after Cedar Rapids house fire
Authorities say two people have been hospitalized after a Cedar Rapids house fire.
- Woman gets probation for fatal Council Bluffs crash
A 29-year-old Council Bluffs woman has been given two years of probation for a fatal hit-and-run accident.
- Fort Dodge hires new company for sewer work after mishaps
The Fort Dodge City Council has hired a new construction company to take over a sewer project after firing a Minnesota company that was involved in a series of mishaps.
- Clayton County board advances plan for sand mining expansion
Clayton County supervisors have given initial approval to the expansion of a sand mining operation.
- Drop in Iowa State Fair attendance blamed on bad weather
Weather is being blamed for a drop in attendance at this year's Iowa State Fair.
- FBI to probe laser beam incident at pipeline protest site
The FBI has been called to investigate a laser beam allegedly being aimed at the cockpit of an airplane that was doing surveillance of an ongoing oil pipeline protest in southern North Dakota.
National News Headline
- US women's gymnastics team flips over Broadway's 'Hamilton'
How do you follow winning Olympic gold at the Rio Olympics? How about a chance to see "Hamilton" on Broadway?
- Farm safety top priority with farm tourism on the rise
With the growth of agritourism and more people visiting local farms, Connecticut officials are joining other states in educating farmers about how to mitigate health risks for their new visitors.
- Man gets prison for killing 2 housekeepers at Ohio facility
A chef who admitted to fatally shooting two housekeepers at an Ohio assisted living facility could spend the rest of his life behind bars.
- AP NewsBreak: Feds want to ban swimming with Hawaii dolphins
Federal regulators are proposing to ban swimming with dolphins in Hawaii, a move that could imperil one of the Aloha State's most popular tourist activities and the industry that has sprung up around it.
- US judge: Renowned artist didn't create disputed painting
A U.S. judge said Tuesday that a celebrated artist was right when he insisted he didn't paint a work now owned by a retired prison worker, a finding that likely ensures the piece will now be worth a fraction of the...
- Small plane makes emergency landing on Massachusetts sandbar
A small plane has made an emergency landing on a sandbar in Massachusetts.
- 3 injured after taxi jumps curb, strikes San Francisco stand
A taxi jumped a curb Tuesday and plowed into an advertising kiosk and a shoeshine stand at a busy corner in downtown San Francisco, leaving the driver and two people in critical condition, authorities said.
- Prosecutors: McCain comments shouldn't derail Bergdahl trial
Attorneys for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl are trying to send his court case "off the judicial cliff" by arguing that U.S. Sen. John McCain improperly swayed military decision-makers with public comments on the case,...
- Lawyers for landslide victims say state committed fraud
Attorneys for victims and family members in a deadly 2014 landslide in Washington have accused state lawyers of orchestrating a fraud by deleting emails between expert witnesses for the state.
- Wife sentenced for killing 1984 Olympic bronze medalist
The wife of a 1984 Olympic medalist was sentenced to a potential life sentence on Tuesday for shooting him in what she claimed was self-defense following years of abuse.
- Huskers unveil alternate 'chrome' uniforms
The University of Nebraska and adidas unveiled the new Husker Chrome alternate football uniform, which will be worn Saturday, September 24th at Northwestern.
- Norfolk football team focused on week one
Norfolk started last season at 5-0. The Panthers finished the regular season at 7-2 and then won their first round playoff game against Millard South. Norfolk was knocked out in the quarterfinals by Bellevue West.
- Wayne State hopes return of QB Osborn leads to more wins
Wayne State started 3-1 last season and then lost six of their last seven. Wayne State does get quarterback Zach Osborn back after missing most of last season with a broken thumb.
- Le Mars hopes to bounce back from one-win season
Le Mars has 18 appearances in the Iowa football playoffs. But the Bulldogs have missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons and hasn't had a winning record since 2012.
- MMCRU Royals ready for first football season
Last season, MMC won the 8-man football state championship, finishing a perfect season. Remsen-Union won just two games. This year, the two schools have combined to form the MMCRU Royals, who will move up from 8-man football to Class A.
- Ex-Siouxland stars Brobst & Reuter look to improve Hawkeyes
The Hawkeyes hope a couple of Siouxland products can help turn their volleyball program around. Bishop Heelan grad Lauren Brobst and Hinton grad Kasey Reuter hope to improve Iowa's 2-18 record in the Big Ten.
- Iowa high school preseason volleyball rankings
See the 2016 Iowa High School Preseason Volleyball Rankings compiled by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.
- Explorers fall in series finale against Winnipeg
The Explorers are a game up on the Lincoln Saltdogs in the Central Division.
- Camp KTIV: Dakota Valley
Dakota Valley looks to come out of the gates strong after a disappointing 2015 season.
- Iowa ranks in AP NCAA Football Poll
The Associated Press released its NCAA Preseason Top 25 poll today, and the Iowa Hawkeyes made the cut.
Headlines from KTIV News