Local News Headlines
- Iowa man gets probation over seized horses
A man has been given jail time and probation for charges related to the seizure of about 30 horses from his southeast Iowa farm.
- Christie's decision on pig crates down to the wire
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has until Monday to decide whether to sign a closely watched bill seen by many as a harbinger of his potential presidential ambitions.
- Authorities: 2 dogs die in Waterloo house fire
Authorities say two dogs have died in a house fire in Waterloo.
- Police report multiple car crashes in Sioux City
Authorities say icy roads have led to multiple car crashes on Interstate 29 in Sioux City.
- Iowa man accused of stabbing wife with glass
An Iowa City man has been accused of stabbing his wife repeatedly with a piece of broken glass.
- Southwest Iowa fire blamed on discarded cigarette
Fremont County authorities are blaming a cigarette for starting a fatal fire in southwest Iowa.
- Council Bluffs considering rental inspections plan
Council Bluffs is considering whether to begin regular city inspections of rental housing, but the idea has drawn fire from some landlords.
- Iowa City coach tried to pull gun, police say
Authorities say a high school coach in Iowa City was arrested after trying to pull a handgun when he was stopped on suspicion of drunken driving.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
An Iowa man survived a house fire Thanksgiving morning and likely owes his life to his helpful dog. The Waterloo Courier Falls reports that a Cedar Falls man was asleep when a fire broke out in his home early Thursday....
- Growers grateful for higher Christmas tree prices
After several tough years, the nation's Christmas tree growers are happy to see higher prices, but customers shouldn't worry too much.
National News Headline
- BLACK FRIDAY LIVE: Thinner crowds, protests, beer
Black Friday shoppers are starting to look like procrastinators.
- NY dinner puts wealthy and homeless at same tables
Some well-off New York City residents have paid $100 each for the honor of eating a candlelit holiday dinner with homeless people at a church.
- Ferguson protest closes 2 St. Louis-area malls
Demonstrators temporarily shut down two large malls in suburban St. Louis on one of the busiest shopping days of the year Friday, as rallies were held nationwide to protest a grand jury's recent decision not to indict...
- Black Friday gets a little less frenzied
Black Friday seemed a little less crazy this year.
- Austin police: Man fired 100-plus rounds downtown
A gunman fired more than 100 rounds at downtown buildings in Austin and tried to set the Mexican Consulate ablaze early Friday before he died during a confrontation with police, authorities said.
- Michael Brown's legacy continues to evolve
For some Americans on opposite sides of a national debate, Michael Brown has become a symbol, epitomizing their polarized views on who bears the blame for the toll of young black men killed by police officers. Brown was a...
- Mom: Missing Ohio player texted about concussions
A missing Ohio State University football player told his mother in a text message the day he disappeared that concussions had his head messed up, according to a report filed with police.
- NY boys buried in snow pile heard rescuers calling
Two boys trapped in a snow pile for about seven hours after a plow buried them could hear their worried family's cries but couldn't respond loudly enough to be heard, they said Friday. Police credited an air pocket...
- Cats in Oregon van get outpouring of donations
Rescue workers in Eastern Oregon say they have received an outpouring of donations for 68 cats found nearly three weeks ago hoarded in a van, some in desperate shape.
- NYC panel nears decision on police chokehold death
Amid the fallout from a grand jury's decision in the fatal police shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Missouri, a panel in New York City is quietly nearing its own conclusion about another combustible case...
- Heroes Trophy on the minds of Iowa and Nebraska fans
As border states, Iowa and Nebraska seem like natural rivals.
- Iowa and Iowa State prepare to meet in ranked wrestling bout
Iowa and Iowa State's wrestling teams will meet in a top-15 dual on Saturday.
- Musketeers shut-out Lincoln in division
In their last six games, the Musketeers have amassed 28 goals over that span.
- Morningside sweeps Northwestern in GPAC hoops
Morningside swept a GPAC basketball doubleheader with Northwestern on Tuesday in Sioux City. See the highlights and the SportsFource scoreboard.
- Hawkeyes ready to host Huskers on Friday
Last week, Iowa and Nebraska still had hopes of winning the Big Ten's West Division. Both teams lost and that hope is gone. When they meet Friday they're just looking for a win and a better bowl game. Both teams are 4-3 in the Big Ten. Iowa is 7-4 overall, while the Huskers are 8-3.
- Boone Central/NG wins big in Class C1 final
Wyatt Mazour ran for 250 yards and two touchdowns and passed for 128 yards and three scores to lead top-ranked Boone Central/Newman Grove to a 54-14 victory over No. 2 Ashland Greenwood in the Class C1 championship game on Tuesday.
- Turnovers doom Cedar Catholic in C2 title game
Lane Napier ran for 119 yards and three touchdowns and Aquinas Catholic rushed for 308 of its 322 yards while defeating turnover-plagued Hartington Cedar Catholic 40-6 in the Class C2 championship game Tuesday.
- Wayne State women win NSIC opener
Wayne State College used a 23 point, 14 rebound outing from senior forward Jordan Spencer and a 13-0 run late in the game as the 12th-ranked Wildcats pulled away for a 71-57 win at Augustana College Monday evening in the Northern Sun Conference opener for both teams.
- ISU's Weaver makes Academic All-Big 12 team
Here's an Iowa State success story on and off the field. Senior Jared Weaver has been named to the Academic All-Big 12 first team.The 2010 Bishop Heelan valedictorian has a perfect 4.0 grade point average in aerospace engineering.
- Iowa State hoping to send seniors out with a win against West Virginia
Iowa State plays their final home game Saturday against West Virginia. The Cyclones want to send their 17 seniors out with a win at Jack Trice Stadium.
Headlines from KTIV News