Local News Headlines
- Michelle Obama asks students to vote early in Iowa
Michelle Obama is trying to give Democrats a boost in a key U.S. Senate race, urging college students in Iowa to vote early for Bruce Braley.
- 4-year-old girl seriously hurt in Iowa crash
A 4-year-old girl has been seriously injured in a two-vehicle crash in eastern Iowa.
- Iowa unemployment rate edges up to 4.6 percent
The unemployment rate in Iowa edged up slightly in September to 4.6 percent from 4.5 percent in August as the state's labor force grew but the number of workers filing for unemployment also increased.
- Occupants of Clear Lake motel move out
Several occupants of a Clear Lake motel are moving out to comply with a court order.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
The government says the Iowa corn harvest is nearly three weeks behind schedule. Less than 20 percent is harvested when more than half the crop is usually in by now. But experts say good weather should help farmers trying...
- Graceland University placed on brief lockdown
Officials at a small private university in southern Iowa say the school was briefly on lockdown because of a threat on campus that is now resolved.
- Dubuque working to reduce plastic shopping bags
The Dubuque City Council has unanimously voted to resume a study of plastic bags as officials work to reduce their distribution in the city.
- Giffords calls on women to highlight gun violence
Former Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords says that "dangerous people with guns are a threat to women."
- Iowa school employee faces exploitation charges
A Des Moines Public Schools employee has been arrested following an allegation that she had an inappropriate relationship with a 17-year-old student.
- Iowa firefighters revive kittens after house fire
West Des Moines firefighters and medics say they have revived three kittens and one cat after a house fire.
National News Headline
- Pakistani Nobel laureate honored in Philadelphia
A Pakistani teenager awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her efforts to promote girls' education has been honored with the Liberty Medal.
- Indiana man was violent long before 7 killings
With hindsight, there were signs years ago of increasing violence against women by Darren Vann, who police said Tuesday has confessed to killing seven women in northwestern Indiana.
- Former Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee dies
In a charmed life of newspapering, Ben Bradlee seemed always to be in just the right place.
- Family, friends remember women slain in Indiana
By HANNAH CUSHMAN and TOM COYNE Associated Press Seven women have been found dead this week in northwestern Indiana, one in a motel and six in abandoned houses in Gary.
- FBI: Denver girls may have tried to join jihadis
Three teenage girls from suburban Denver may have been trying to join Islamic State militants in Syria after stealing their parents' money and flying to Germany, authorities said Tuesday.
- Jurors given conflicting views of Jodi Arias
A prosecutor at the sentencing retrial of convicted murderer Jodi Arias showed jurors two photos Tuesday of her ex-boyfriend and victim Travis Alexander.
- Police: Indiana man confesses to all 7 killings
Police say an Indiana man has now definitively confessed to killing seven women whose bodies were found over the weekend in northwestern Indiana.
- $8M for 88 victims of abuse by Franciscan friar
Eighty-eight former students who were sexually molested by a Franciscan friar who worked as an athletic trainer at a Catholic high school have settled their legal claims for $8 million, according to two attorneys who...
- Mormons address mystery surrounding undergarments
The Mormon church is addressing the mystery that has long surrounded undergarments worn by its faithful with a new video explaining the practice in-depth while admonishing ridicule from outsiders about what it considers a...
- US expands Ebola checks; Rwanda to check Americans
Fending off demands to ban travel from Ebola-stricken West Africa, the Obama administration instead tightened the nation's defenses against Ebola by requiring that all arrivals from the disease-ravaged zone pass...
- Briar Cliff goaltender sets record in win over Morningside
The Briar Cliff women's soccer team pitched its fifth straight shutout Tuesday, beating Morningside 1-0. McKayla Wessling scored the only goal of the match in the 54th minute.Kalynn Sortino tied the BCU school record for most shutouts in a season with 10.
- GPAC preseason coaches basketball polls released
The Morningside women and Midland men were the preseason favorites in the Great Plains Athletic Conference coaches basketball polls released on Tuesday. See the entire polls for the GPAC men's and women's teams.
- New Nebraska AP high school football rankings
Here are the Associated Press Nebraska high school football rankings in Classes A through D-2. The rankings are based on a formula that includes ratings from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star plus experts for each class.
- Nebraska finally gets day game after five straight at night
Nebraska hasn't won a conference football title in 15 years. The Huskers trail Minnesota by a game in the Big Ten's West Division standings but Nebraska controls their own destiny if they win out, starting with Saturday's home game against Rutgers.
- Morningside stays #1 in NAIA poll; Wegher wins honors
Morningside stays No. 1 in this week's NAIA football poll. The Mustangs improved their record to 6-0 last Saturday with a 50-7 blowout victory against a Dakota Wesleyan University team that was ranked 16th in the nation. Running back Brandon Wegher was also named the NAIA player of the week.
- New Iowa AP high school football poll
See the top ten teams in the Associated Press Iowa high school football polls of the 2014 season in Classes 4A through 8-man.
- Nebraska runs away from Northwestern in second half
Nebraska needed a game-winning hail mary to Jordan Westerkamp to beat Northwestern last season, a play that Big Red fans now affectionately refer to as "The Westercatch." The Huskers appeared to be headed for another close finish with Northwestern yesterday until Ameer Abdullah took over.
- Iowa hurt by turnovers, penalties in loss to Maryland
Iowa suffered their first Big Ten loss of the season yesterday, falling to Maryland 38-31. It was the teams' first ever meeting, with the Terrapins snapping Iowa's four-game road winning streak.
- Sioux Center tops Central Lyon/GLR in defensive struggle
Fifth-ranked Sioux Center went to Rock Rapids and topped Central Lyon/George little rock Friday night, 7-6.
- Morningside rolls Dakota Wesleyan; Wayne State suffers first NSIC South loss
Headlines from KTIV News