Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. CDT
It took more than six decades, but the first black student to be named Miss State University of Iowa in 1955 has received official recognition _ and an apology _ from the university. The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports...
- Western Iowa man sentenced to prison for having child porn
A Harlan man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison for possessing child pornography.
- Judge: Wrongful death suit can't name new defendants
The family of a Des Moines woman who died of a prescription-drug overdose is appealing a judge's rejection of their motion seeking to name the doctor's former health system as defendants.
- 1955 University of Iowa student finally gets honor, apology
It took more than six decades, but the first black student to be named Miss State University of Iowa in 1955 has received official recognition - and an apology - from the university.
- Ex-Nebraska jailer found guilty in Iowa in child sex case
A former Nebraska jail employee has been found guilty in western Iowa of child sex and pornography counts.
- Survey shows plenty of pheasants when season opens Oct. 29
Iowa's pheasant hunting season opens Oct. 29, when nearly 60,000 hunters are expected to pursue ringnecks in fields across the state.
- Governor seeks disaster declaration for 19 Iowa counties
The Iowa governor's office has asked the White House to issue a presidential disaster declaration for 19 Iowa counties that suffered damage from severe storms and flooding in late September.
- Des Moines man get life term for death of wife
A Des Moines man has pleaded guilty to murder in the death of his wife and was sentenced to life in prison.
- Grant will help Cedar Rapids create native prairie
A nearly $100,000 state grant will help Cedar Rapids create up to 1,000 acres of native prairie to support monarch butterflies and other pollinators.
- Early voting: Democrats show strength in key battlegrounds
Hillary Clinton appears to be displaying strength in the crucial battleground states of North Carolina and Florida among voters casting ballots before Election Day, and may also be building an early vote advantage in...
National News Headline
- Official: Gas spill has had no impact on water so far
There has been little impact to the water supply so far from a ruptured pipeline during a freak storm in Pennsylvania that sent nearly 55,000 gallons of gasoline into a creek tributary, officials said Saturday.
- Toddler dies in Spokane fire, his dog huddled at his side
A toddler who died in a house fire was found with his dog and teddy bear next to him and authorities believe the dog tried to protect the boy, a spokesman for Spokane's fire department said Saturday.
- Report: California soldiers must repay enlistment bonuses
Nearly 10,000 California National Guard soldiers have been ordered to repay huge enlistment bonuses a decade after signing up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, a newspaper reported Saturday.
- Woman's abdominal pain turns into surprise baby
Abdominal pain sent Stephanie Jaegers to the hospital.
- Prince Albert buys Philadelphia home of mom Grace Kelly
The Philadelphia home where Oscar-winning actress Grace Kelly grew up and accepted a marriage proposal from Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1955 is now in the hands of the royal family.
- Major California river adding key ingredient: water
A decade ago, environmentalists and the federal government agreed to revive a 150-mile stretch of California's second-longest river, an ambitious effort aimed at allowing salmon again to swim up to the Sierra Nevada...
- Cincinnati braces for racially charged police shooting trial
Under tight courthouse security and close monitoring by local officials concerned about keeping the peace, jury selection begins Tuesday for the murder trial of a white university police officer charged with killing an...
- AP Exclusive: 'High threat' Texas border busts aren't always
Drivers in Texas busted for drunken driving, not paying child support or low-level drug offenses are among thousands of "high-threat" criminal arrests being counted as part of a nearly $1 billion mission to secure the...
- From Utah, McMullin calls for 'new conservative movement'
Two months after he jumped into the presidential race as a political unknown, independent candidate Evan McMullin is surging in Utah polls and drawing large crowds of Republican-leaning voters fed up with Donald...
- Montana judge sparks outrage with no prison time for incest
A judge's decision not to order prison time for a Montana man who raped his 12-year-old daughter has sparked outrage from afar and calls closer to home to toughen the state's law, which allows such lenience in...
- Morningside blanks Briar Cliff; Wayne State clipped by Winona State
Check out highlights of the Morningside, Briar Cliff and Wayne State football teams, plus check out Saturday's college scoreboard.
- Cornhuskers come back in 2nd half to stay undefeated
By ERIC OLSON AP College Football Writer LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Tommy Armstrong Jr. accounted for 303 yards of total offense and two touchdowns, and No. 8 Nebraska came back from a four-point halftime deficit to defeat Purdue 27-14 on Saturday.
- South Dakota holds off Illinois State for third straight win
VERMILLION, S.D. (AP) - Backup quarterback Austin Simmons threw for two touchdowns as South Dakota edged Illinois State 27-24 on Saturday.
- Iowa falls to Wisconsin for third-straight home loss
Corey Clement ran for 134 yards and a touchdown and 10th-ranked Wisconsin used a stout defense to beat Iowa 17-9 on Saturday and snap a two-game skid.
- Playoff pairings announced in Iowa and Nebraska
Check out all the playoff pairings involving Siouxland teams in Iowa and Nebraska. The playoffs begin Thursday and Friday.
- SportsFource Extra results from Friday
See the high school football scores in Iowa and Nebraska from Friday night's action.
- Stanton upsets Battle Creek; Norfolk Catholic tops West Pt-Beemer
Stanton handed Battle Creek their first loss of the season while Norfolk Catholic rolled over West Point-Beemer. See the highlights and Thursday's SportsFource scoreboard.
- Musketeers blanked by Fargo in home loss
The Musketeers were shutout for the second time this season, 2-0, by Fargo on Thursday night at the Tyson Events Center. Sioux City had beaten the Force, 5-2, back on October 1.
- Unity Christian boys & PAC/LM girls win qualifying meets
The Unity Christian boys and Pocahontas Area/L-M girls were the team champions at the Class 2A cross country qualifying meet in Orange City on Thursday. See the highlights and the results from Classes 1A, 2A & 3A.
- Morningside women return three starters from 33-3 team
The Morningside women's basketball team has won four straight GPAC titles, have 11 letterwinners back but are still not the preseason conference favorites.
Headlines from KTIV News