Local News Headlines
- Des Moines officer fired at fleeing vehicle, police say
Des Moines police say an officer fired several shots at a fleeing vehicle but apparently didn't hit the driver.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 6:40 a.m. CDT
Des Moines police say an officer fired shots at a fleeing vehicle the officer thought was endangering his brother. Officers responding Sunday afternoon to a report about an armed man spotted the vehicle. Police say one...
- Man killed, woman wounded in Sioux City parking lot shooting
Authorities say a man was killed and a woman wounded in a shooting inside a vehicle at a restaurant parking lot in Sioux City.
- Iowa woman learns she is pregnant 3 hours before birth
A Fort Dodge woman was surprised to learn she was pregnant about three hours before she gave birth to her fourth child on Friday.
- Getting criminal psychiatric evaluations is slow in Iowa
Nearly two months after a suspect in a Dubuque killing was ordered to have a psychiatric evaluation he was transferred to the facility earlier this month.
- Data show increase in ex-offenders returning to Iowa prisons
New data show there's an increase in the number of former Iowa inmates returning to prison, and corrections officials are still figuring out why.
- Trump warns of regulations, taxes harming family farmers
Donald Trump says rival Hillary Clinton will push regulations and high taxes that will hurt family farmers.
- University of Iowa officials revamp chalking policy
University of Iowa officials have revamped the university's 6-year-old sidewalk chalk policy months after an anti-abortion group's sidewalk art caused a flap.
- Retired Catholic priest charged with invasion of privacy
A retired Catholic priest in western Iowa has been charged with five counts of invasion of privacy over an alleged incident at a high school track meet in April.
- Officials: Escaped Davenport work release inmate captured
Authorities say a 39-year-old inmate who escaped from work release while serving a murder sentence has been captured.
National News Headline
- Police probe Cornell brawl that left Ithaca student dead
Police investigating a brawl on the campus of Cornell University that left an Ithaca College student dead and another Ithaca student injured are asking witnesses with cellphone video of the fight to come forward.
- Mylan launching cheaper, generic version of EpiPen
By TOM MURPHY AP Health Writer Mylan will start selling a cheaper version of its EpiPen after absorbing waves of criticism over a list price for the emergency allergy treatment that has grown to $608 for...
- 2 dead, 36 hurt after bus hits fire truck, more vehicles
Louisiana State Police say a Honduran man who had entered the United States illegally was driving a bus carrying flood recovery workers that hit a firetruck on a highway, killing two people and injuring dozens.
- Memorial Mass for 2 nuns killed in their Mississippi home
A memorial Mass will be held Monday for two 68-year-old nuns who were killed in their Mississippi home, even as authorities continue to investigate the stabbing. A man from about 15 miles away has confessed without giving...
- Clinton proposes plan to address mental health treatment
Hillary Clinton is rolling out a comprehensive plan to address millions of Americans coping with mental illness, pointing to the need to fully integrate mental health services into the nation's health care system.
- Drones meet drought in skies of storied California farmland
A drone whirred to life in a cloud of dust, then shot hundreds of feet skyward for a bird's-eye view of a vast tomato field in California's Central Valley, the nation's most productive farming region.
- WHY IT MATTERS: Climate Change
THE ISSUE: It's as if Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump live on two entirely different Earths: one warming, one not.
- False report of gunman at Los Angeles airport causes panic
Reports of a gunman opening fire that turned out to be false caused panicked evacuations at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday night, while flights to and from the airport saw major delays.
- Boston duck boat fails to clear overpass, damages roof
Part of the roof of a Boston duck boat was torn off after a driver failed to clear a bridge while out on a tour in the city.
- The Latest: Police find no gunman at Los Angeles airport
The Latest on reports of a shooter and evacuations at Los Angeles airport (all times local):
- Morningside hopes to snap semifinal losing streak
In six days, Morningside will kick off a new football season, with a new quarterback. But the Mustangs will have old goals - a national title - after falling just short each of the last three years.
- Explorers beat Winnipeg for crucial series win
Tommy Mendonca tallied two hits and two RBIs, including the game-winning RBI single in the 11th inning, as the Explorers beat Winnipeg in 11 innings on Sunday, 3-2.
- Former Husker hoopster White chooses Syracuse
Back in June, former Nebraska star Andrew White III announced that he would transfer out of the Husker program. Sunday, White made his decision.
- West Sioux, Westwood pick up CNOS Classic wins
See highlights of West Sioux and Westwood's CNOS Classic wins on Saturday. Plus, check out Saturday's high school scores.
- Dordt wins at Red Raider Classic; Morningside falls
Check out highlights of the Dordt and Morningside volleyball teams, plus check out Saturday's college scores.
- Briar Cliff opens season with close win over Waldorf
Stephen Miller completed 19-of-30 passes for 261 yards and three touchdowns, Miles Jones caught two of those scores and Briar Cliff opened the season with a 23-19 win over Waldorf on Saturday.
- Sports Fource Extra football highlights & scores
Watch highlights of 14 Siouxland high school football games and see the Sports Fource scoreboard from Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota.
- Bullpen falters again as X's swept in Sioux Falls
The Sioux City Explorers fell to Sioux Falls 12-8 on Thursday night. The X's remain a game behind Lincoln in the Central Division standings, along with Gary-Southshore.
- City rivals collide as East visits Heelan & North goes to West
Bishop Heelan and Sioux City East meet for the 79th time on Friday night, while North will take on West. See a preview of both games and hear from players from all four schools.
- Norfolk Catholic starts season as top team in Class C-1
There aren't many football programs that have had the sustained success of Norfolk Catholic. The Omaha World Herald has Norfolk Catholic ranked first in Class C1.
Headlines from KTIV News