Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
The inmate at the center of a cellphone smuggling investigation at an Iowa prison was punished with confinement and a return to his home state of Kansas. Records released Tuesday to The Associated Press identify the inmate...
- Iowa lawmaker supports executing some felons in US illegally
An Iowa state senator and congressional candidate is being criticized by Republicans and Democrats after he said he supports executing immigrant felons who seek to re-enter the U.S. illegally after being deported.
- Board withholds details of U Iowa naming plan before meeting
The University of Iowa's governing body is withholding details of a plan to rename a campus building, which is scheduled to be announced and approved within a matter of hours Wednesday.
- Bush spends millions on TV but has yet to rise in GOP race
Jeb Bush and his super PAC have put roughly three times as much money into television advertising as any of his Republican presidential rivals.
- Bush: Uncertain I would have attended Paris climate summit
Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush says he's not sure he would have attended the Paris climate summit because its proposals would hurt the U.S. economy.
- Iowa, Iowa State presidents seek state dollars for faculty
The presidents of two public universities in Iowa say they want more state dollars to add faculty and increase salaries.
- APNewsBreak: Inmate punished for role in Iowa prison scandal
The inmate at the center of a cellphone smuggling investigation at an Iowa prison was punished with confinement and a return to his home state of Kansas.
- Voters wonder if Cruz can heal Washington's bitter divisions
It's a central question facing Ted Cruz's campaign as he gains momentum in the Republican presidential primary race: Can the uncompromising conservative unite a polarized nation and work with what he's...
- This Hour: Latest Iowa news, sports, business and entertainment
U. S. Sen. Joni Ernst has retired from the Iowa Army National Guard.
- Sen. Joni Ernst retires from Iowa National Guard
U. S. Sen. Joni Ernst has retired from the Iowa Army National Guard.
National News Headline
- Police investigate death of Alaska's capital city mayor
Police in Alaska's capital city have tentatively ruled out gunshots, drugs or suicide in the death of the newly elected mayor but have not determined whether he died from a natural event or foul play.
- Planned Parenthood shooting: Domestic terrorism? It's knotty
The man accused of killing three people at a Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic brought several guns, ammunition and propane tanks that officials say he assembled around a car.
- Southern California man dies in crash hours after good deed
A San Diego-area woman is working to honor the memory of a stranger who died hours after he paid for her groceries and asked her to "pay it forward."
- Things to know for officer's trial in death of Freddie Gray
A jury will be seated Wednesday for the trial of Officer William Porter, the first of six Baltimore police officers to stand trial in the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died of a spinal injury he...
- In slap at Obama, GOP-led House moves to block climate rule
As President Barack Obama worked to hammer out a global climate agreement in Paris, Republicans in Congress moved to block his plan to force steep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions from U.S. power plants.
- The Latest: Commissioner: Police are peacekeepers
The latest on the trial of a police officer accused in the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who suffered a spinal injury in the back of a transport van (all times local):
- Soldier who lost all 4 limbs hopes book inspires others
A soldier who lost all four limbs during an explosion in Afghanistan hopes to inspire others with his story of how he recovered from his injuries and got on with his life partly by helping other amputees.
- Chicago mayor fires police chief in wake of video release
Rahm Emanuel sought for months to keep the public from seeing a video that shows a white police officer shooting a black teenager 16 times.
- The Latest: Atlanta police say man shot first in shootout
The latest on the gun battle involving police in downtown Atlanta that left one man dead (all times local):
- Coroner: Remains from Kansas are from a juvenile
Human remains found at a Kansas barn are those of a juvenile, but tests to determine whether the remains belong to a missing 7-year-old boy could take weeks, a coroner said Tuesday.
- Iowa State introduces new football coach Campbell
One day after Paul Rhoads' final game, Iowa State had a new head football coach. Matt Campbell was introduced Monday in Ames, one day after his 36th birthday.
- Northern Iowa throttles North Texas
Bennett Koch scored 18 points, including 8 of 10 at the free throw line, to help lead Northern Iowa to a 93-70 win over North Texas on Monday night.
- Iowa's King earns Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year honors
Iowa's Desmond King is the Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year. King has eight interceptions, tied for most in the country. His eight picks tie the single-season school record.
- New Iowa State football coach arrives in Ames
On his birthday, Matt Campbell got a Big 12 head coaching job. The 36-year-old former Toledo boss was hired to replace Paul Rhoads who was fired after seven seasons. Campbell and his family flew into Ames Sunday evening.
- Hawkeye wrestlers beat Cyclones for 12th straight time
Second-ranked Iowa thumped Iowa State 33-6 in wrestling Sunday for its 12th straight win in the series.The Hawkeyes won eight of 10 matches in dominating the annual rivalry matchup.
- Iowa State hires Matt Campbell as new head football coach
Matt Campbell, who brings an amazing championship pedigree as both a player and coach, is the new head football coach at Iowa State University. Campbell will be introduced at a news conference in Ames on Monday at noon.
- Strong second half propels Cyclones to win over Illinois
Georges Niang scored 23 points and helped lead a decisive run during the second half of fourth-ranked Iowa State's 84-73 victory over Illinois on Saturday in the championship game of the Emerald Coast Classic.
- West Virginia sends Rhoads, Iowa State packing in 30-6 win
Skyler Howard threw one touchdown pass and ran for another score to lead West Virginia to a 30-6 win over Iowa State on Saturday.
- Northern Iowa roughs up Eastern Illinois in 53-17 win
Aaron Bailey threw for three touchdowns and Tyvis Smith rushed for 147 yards and a score to lead Northern Iowa to a 53-17 win over Eastern Illinois in the FCS playoffs on Saturday night.
- Morningside manhandles Tabor College 51-6
Tyler Kavan burst outside following blocks on his way to his second touchdown of the day in the third quarter as Morningside (12-1) stymied Tabor College (11-2) in a 51-6 win.