Local News Headlines
- Parties jockeying for early vote in Iowa, Florida
More than 2.3 million voters have already cast ballots for the November midterm elections, and both Republicans and Democrats are claiming the early voting numbers work to their advantage.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
A judge says he plans to rule against a subsidiary of Ameren Corp. in a legal fight over whether it needs state permission to build a high-voltage power line across northern Missouri. Cole County Circuit Judge Dan Green...
- Branstad winning cash race against Hatch
Republican Gov. Terry Branstad continues to hold a massive cash advantage over Democratic challenger Jack Hatch going into the final days of the race.
- Landowners allowed to join Ameren power line case
A judge has allowed landowners in northern Missouri to join a legal fight over a plan by a subsidiary of Ameren Corp. to build a high-voltage power line.
- Appeals court revives Syngenta, Bunge GMO lawsuit
A federal appeals court has given agricultural chemical maker Syngenta Seeds hope that it may be able to proceed with a lawsuit against grain storage and transportation company Bunge North America for refusing to accept...
- Iowa teen's death still unsolved 2 years later
Dubuque police say they have few leads in the shooting death of a teen two years ago, citing a lack of cooperation from witnesses.
- GOP governors don't see 'Obamacare' going away
Republicans may be close to winning control of Congress and more votes to repeal "Obamacare," but GOP governors don't see the president's health care law going away.
- 3 Iowa companies receive USDA ag research grants
Three Iowa companies have received U.S. Department of Agriculture grants for research projects officials hope will lead to new technologies that advance agriculture.
- UNI president responds to racist comments on app
Some posts to an anonymous social media app have prompted the University of Northern Iowa's acting president to send a campus-wide email to explain the comments weren't representative of the university.
- Branstad offers quality of life plan
Gov. Terry Branstad says he wants to make sure Iowa has great parks and cultural offerings for residents.
National News Headline
- Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies at 82
Oscar de la Renta, the worldly gentleman designer who shaped the wardrobe of socialites, first ladies and Hollywood stars for more than four decades, has died. He was 82.
- AP PHOTOS: DE LA RENTA'S CREATIONS OVER THE YEARS
Oscar de la Renta, who died Monday at 82, shaped American couture half a century ago when it emerged as a serious rival to European fashion designers.
- Standing ovation at Met Opera despite protest
Former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani joined demonstrators outside the Metropolitan Opera on Monday for an emotional protest against a musical work about the death of a Jewish man they say glorifies his Palestinian killers.
- Police say they might have spotted ambush suspect
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM Associated Press Police shifted their search and a northeastern Pennsylvania school district tightened security amid another reported sighting Monday of the suspect in a deadly state...
- CDC releases revised Ebola gear guidelines
Federal health officials on Monday issued new guidelines to promote head-to-toe protection for health workers treating Ebola patients.
- Terror suspect wants details of case against him
A terror suspect challenging the constitutionality of the National Security Agency's warrantless surveillance program wants prosecutors to reveal how they built their case against him.
- New Ebola gear guidelines: head-to-toe coverage
By The Associated Press Health care workers should be completely covered - no skin exposed - while caring for Ebola patients, according to revised guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and...
- Maui surfer fends off shark with fist, board
A man surfing with his three young sons used his fist and surfboard to fend off a weekend shark attack in waters off Maui.
- AP PHOTOS: Washington hatchery gives away salmon
People lined up with coolers Monday to wait for free fish as coho and chum salmon returned to spawn at a hatchery on Washington's Kitsap Peninsula.
- Hawaii rides out storm, but remote islands at risk
Sunny skies returned to the Aloha State, the day after a hurricane left Hawaii without inflicting much harm beyond heavy rain.
- Nebraska finally gets day game after five straight at night
Nebraska hasn't won a conference football title in 15 years. The Huskers trail Minnesota by a game in the Big Ten's West Division standings but Nebraska controls their own destiny if they win out, starting with Saturday's home game against Rutgers.
- Morningside stays #1 in NAIA poll; Wegher wins honors
Morningside stays No. 1 in this week's NAIA football poll. The Mustangs improved their record to 6-0 last Saturday with a 50-7 blowout victory against a Dakota Wesleyan University team that was ranked 16th in the nation. Running back Brandon Wegher was also named the NAIA player of the week.
- New Iowa AP high school football poll
See the top ten teams in the Associated Press Iowa high school football polls of the 2014 season in Classes 4A through 8-man.
- Nebraska runs away from Northwestern in second half
Nebraska needed a game-winning hail mary to Jordan Westerkamp to beat Northwestern last season, a play that Big Red fans now affectionately refer to as "The Westercatch." The Huskers appeared to be headed for another close finish with Northwestern yesterday until Ameer Abdullah took over.
- Iowa hurt by turnovers, penalties in loss to Maryland
Iowa suffered their first Big Ten loss of the season yesterday, falling to Maryland 38-31. It was the teams' first ever meeting, with the Terrapins snapping Iowa's four-game road winning streak.
- Sioux Center tops Central Lyon/GLR in defensive struggle
Fifth-ranked Sioux Center went to Rock Rapids and topped Central Lyon/George little rock Friday night, 7-6.
- Morningside rolls Dakota Wesleyan; Wayne State suffers first NSIC South loss
- Muskies earn overtime win in rematch of Western Conference Finals
Ryan Zuhlsdorf scored 30 seconds into overtime, and Sioux City defeated Waterloo 2-1 Saturday in a rematch of last season's Western Conference Finals.
- Abdullah runs wild in Nebraska win
Ameer Abdullah had four 1-yard touchdown runs and quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. scored on a 16-yard reception, leading No. 19 Nebraska to a 38-17 victory at Northwestern on Saturday night.
- Texas squeaks past Iowa State in shootout
Nick Rose kicked a 21-yard field goal with 3 seconds left, sending Texas to a wild 48-45 victory over Iowa State, snapping a two-game losing streak in what had been the worst start for the Longhorns in nearly 60 years.
Headlines from KTIV News