Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 7:40 a.m. CST
Officials in southeastern Iowa say one person has died in a house fire. Firefighters responded early Friday morning to a fire in Washington, Iowa, and found a house fully engulfed in flames. Officials say a body was found...
- Body found in burned southeastern Iowa house
Officials in southeastern Iowa say one person has died in a house fire.
- Firefighters find body in burning house; arrest made
Officials in southern Iowa say a body has been found inside a burning house, and one person has been arrested in the case.
- Autopsies confirm murder-suicide in park deaths of couple
Authorities say a couple found dead in a murder-suicide at George Wyth (wihth) State Park in Waterloo suffered from health problems.
- Windsor Heights tax raise to pay for sidewalks
Property taxes will increase this year to pay for 16 blocks of new sidewalks in Windsor Heights, a city where neighborhood streets haven't had many sidewalks since homes were built in the 1950s.
- Man pleads not guilty in 2nd murder-for-hire case
A March trial has been scheduled for a North Liberty man accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill three people who were expected to testify against him in another murder-for-hire case.
- Downtown Iowa City closer to having food trucks
Some restaurant owners are concerned about the high possibility of food trucks operating in Iowa City's downtown area.
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
Officials say some students used stolen teacher passwords to change some grades at the University of Iowa.
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river
Authorities have resumed a search for a girl missing since the vehicle she was in plunged into the Boyer River in western Iowa.
- Iowa lawmaker seeks to end machine gun ban
Iowa's ban on owning vintage machine guns would be ended under legislation introduced by a lawmaker and supported by a firearms group.
National News Headline
- 4 dead after tornado rips through south Mississippi
Survivors are surveying the damage after a twister ripped through southern Mississippi
- The Latest: Marchers pack trains, buses on way to protests
Getting to the Women's March on Washington and its sister events around the country is proving a challenge
- Bogus bongs or bogus lawsuits? Pipe maker sues over fakes
Don't want to bum your buzz, but that expensive bong you got cheap to smoke your pot may be bogus
- Bergdahl case presents early legal test of Trump rhetoric
A military court will be among the first to weigh the real-world consequences of President Donald Trump's fiery rhetoric as Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl argues his case
- El Chapo's new home: a jail that held mobsters, terrorists
New home of Mexican drug lord El Chapo is one of the most secure jails in the United States
- Police: Suspect in double slaying in critical condition
A New Orleans-area sheriff says a man accused of killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend and a police officer is in critical condition after shooting himself in the chest
- Michigan says 38 underperforming public schools could close
Michigan plans to close up to 38 underperforming schools in Detroit and other urban communities, potentially affecting 18,000 students
- Sentencing reset for Alaska strip club owner in dumping case
A sentencing hearing has been canceled for the second day in a row in the case of an Alaska man who was convicted of illegally dumping human waste into a harbor while operating a floating strip club
- The Latest: Suspect in double killings shoots self but alive
A state police spokesman says the suspect in the slaying of an officer and a woman shot himself following a standoff on New Orleans bridge but is alive
- El Chapo is hauled off to US jail that has held terrorists
Mexican drug lord and master escape artist El Chapo has been taken to an ultra-secure New York jail following a courtroom appearance
- SportsFource Extra highlights & scores from Friday
Watch highlights of six Siouxland high school basketball games from Friday night and see the SportsFource scoreboard from Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota.
- Kiel's transfer boosts Northwestern hoops team
The Northwestern women have gone 6-1 in their last seven games, thanks in part to a new player. Anna Kiel transferred from Iowa State, where she played volleyball, to come back home to play at Northwestern.
- South Sioux & Heelan girls win; Sioux City swimmers down CB
The girls basketball teams from South Sioux City and Bishop Heelan picked up wins on Thursday, as did the Sioux City metro swimmers. See the highlights and the SportsFource scoreboard.
- New Iowa girls high school basketball rankings
See the new Iowa girls high school basketball rankings compiled by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.
- Lang returns to Explorers for fifth season
The Sioux City Explorers announced that OF Michael Lang will return for the 2017 American Association season, which marks the X’s 25th season in Siouxland.
- South Dakota women run home winning streak to 23
The South Dakota women extended their school record with their 23rd straight home win Wednesday night. Only U-Conn and Baylor have longer home winning streaks.
- Northwestern splits with Briar Cliff; M'side women & South Sioux girls win
The Northwestern College women beat Briar Cliff on Wednesday while the Charger men downed the Red Raiders in GPAC action. The Morningside women and South Sioux City girls also won.
- Yankton's Mors leads team in scoring as 8th grader
Yankton 8th-grader Matthew Mors is averaging 25 points a game for the Bucks, playing in South Dakota's largest class. In a loss to Sioux Falls O'Gorman Tuesday night, Mors scored 21 -- half of Yankton's 42 points.
- Norfolk boys prepare for top ten battle
Two of the top 10 teams in Class A will square off this weekend in Siouxland. The Norfolk Panthers boys basketball team has won seven straight games dating back to last month's GNAC Conference tournament.
- Morningside baseball & softball teams named GPAC favorites
The Morningside baseball and softball teams were each chosen as the preseason favorites in the Great Plains Athletic Conference coaches polls.
Headlines from KTIV News