Local News Headlines
- Central Iowa firefighter loses home to fire
A central Iowa firefighter has lost his home and everything in it to fire.
- Council Bluffs officials: Interest shown in midtown building
Leaders in Council Bluffs say developers are showing interest in a large, long-vacant brick building in western Iowa city.
- Dubuque asks agency to let city look into hydropower dam
Dubuque officials have asked a federal agency to let the city study the feasibility of putting a hydropower plant on the Mississippi River.
- Inmates help other prisoners face death in hospice program
Ohio inmates who volunteer to help fellow prisoners face death say they see their job as a privilege that also helps them.
- Hearing reset for man seeking new trial in Waterloo killing
A hearing has been pushed to next year for a man seeking a new trial in a 2006 shooting death at a Waterloo nightclub.
- Former Rapid City mayor takes new job in home state of Iowa
Former Rapid City mayor Sam Kooiker (KWAY'-kur) is taking a new job in his home state of Iowa.
- Ex-Pacific Junction city clerk charged with theft from city
A former Pacific Junction city clerk accused by state auditors of giving herself unauthorized Christmas bonuses and vacation and sick pay has been charged with theft.
- Iowa legislators to consider tax break for manufacturers
Iowa state legislators are set to consider a proposal that would expand tax exemptions for manufacturers and lower their tax burden by up to $46 million.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
A 29-year-old man has admitted to using drugs during the time he worked as a guard at Anamosa State Penitentiary. Ethan Darrow pleaded guilty Monday in federal court. Court records say Darrow had an assault rifle while he...
- Ex-Iowa prison guard pleads guilty to drug charges
A 29-year-old man has admitted to using drugs during the time he worked as a guard at Anamosa State Penitentiary.
National News Headline
- Patrick Kennedy memoir creates rift among his family
A memoir by former Congressman Patrick Kennedy has created a rift with family members upset over his portrayal of family secrecy, substance abuse and mental illness, including of his father, late Massachusetts Sen. Edward...
- The Latest: Governor says it's too soon for damage estimate
The latest on the rainstorm that pounded parts of the East Coast (all times local):
- Workers remove Ten Commandments from Oklahoma Capitol
A granite monument of the Ten Commandments that has sparked controversy since its installation on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds was moved early Tuesday to a private conservative think tank for storage.
- Prosecutors to detail case vs. suspect in contract killings
A man who acknowledged killing dozens of people across the United States as an enforcer for Mexican drug cartels will hear evidence in court Tuesday that prosecutors say proves he gunned down nine people throughout central...
- Judge tosses conviction in infamous '90 NYC tourist killing
A man who maintains he was wrongly convicted in a notorious 1990 tourist killing deserves a new trial, a judge said Tuesday, throwing out a verdict in a case that helped crystallize an era of crime and fear in the...
- Lawyer: White New York officer targeted black NBA player
A lawyer representing a professional basketball player arrested outside a New York City nightclub has told a jury his client was targeted because he's black.
- In writings, Oregon gunman ranted about others being crazy
The gunman who killed nine people at an Oregon community college last week complained in writings he left behind that everyone else was crazy and ranted about not having a girlfriend, a law enforcement official said.
- US forecast calls for lower heating bills this winter
Heating bills should drop this winter for most U.S. households thanks to a combination of lower energy prices and warmer weather across most of the country, the U.S. Energy Department said Tuesday.
- FAA proposes nearly $2 million fine against drone operator
The Federal Aviation Administration on Tuesday proposed a record $1.9 million fine against an aerial photography company for flying drones in crowded New York and Chicago airspace without permission.
- New auto safety technologies leave some drivers bewildered
Many Americans buying new cars these days are baffled by a torrent of new safety technology.
- Iowa State heads to Texas Tech seeking 2-0 Big 12 start
Iowa State didn't win a single game in Big 12 play last season. But on Saturday, the Cyclones started 1-0 in conference with a victory over Kansas. Iowa State begins a four-game stretch against Texas teams this Saturday when they head on the road to Texas Tech.
- Iowa's King earns Big Ten player of the week honors
Iowa defensive back Desmond King is this week's Big Ten Co-Defensive player of the week.
- Vermillion earns volleyball win over Elk Point-Jefferson
See highlights of Vermillion's 3-0 win over Elk Point-Jefferson, plus check out Monday's SportsFource Scoreboard.
- Sioux City native wins dirt racing national championship
Sioux City dirt track racer Chris Abelson won an International Motor Contest Association national championship over the weekend.
- Iowa A.P. football rankings
See the new Iowa AP football rankings from Classes 4A through 8-player.
- Nebraska A.P. football rankings
See the New Nebraska AP football rankings from Classes A through D2.
- Iowa defense great in road win over Wisconsin
Iowa is 5-0 for the first time since 2009. A win over a ranked opponent for the first time since 2011. Iowa went on the road and beat #19 Wisconsin Saturday, passing their biggest test of the season in a defensive battle.
- Nebraska's hard luck continues against Illinois
Close games are becoming the norm for Nebraska, and it was another brutal finish for the Cornhuskers against the Illini on Saturday.
- Iowa State 1-0 in Big 12 for first time since 2002
Iowa State hasn't been 1-0 in the Big 12 since 2002. The Cyclones didn't win a single conference game last season. But Saturday's 38-13 win over Kansas was a confidence boost and a glimpse of what the Cyclone offense is capable of.
- Morningside wins road battle over Northwestern; Dordt falls to Concordia
Check out highlights of the Morningside-Northwestern game as well as the Dordt football team, and see Saturday's SportsFource Scoreboard.
Headlines from KTIV News