Local News Headlines
- Body-camera maker has financial ties to police chiefs
Taser International, the stun-gun maker that is becoming a leading supplier of body cameras for police, has cultivated financial ties to police chiefs whose departments have bought the recording devices.
- Trial set to begin in slaying of northern Iowa girl, 5
The trial is scheduled to begin Monday for a man accused of killing his former girlfriend's 5-year-old daughter.
- House education committee OKs anti-bullying legislation
Legislation aimed at expanding guidelines for Iowa educators who respond to school bullying has advanced in the House.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
A Senate panel has approved a bill that could halt the upcoming closings of state mental health centers in Clarinda and Mount Pleasant. The bill would require the state Department of Human Services to keep the facilities...
- Jeb Bush distances himself from family
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is distancing himself from his family as he courts senior citizens in Nevada, the first stop in a national tour aimed at key states on the presidential primary calendar.
- Des Moines police ID woman whose body was found in alley
Authorities have released the name of a woman whose body was found in a Des Moines alley.
- Iowa middle school teacher arrested on sexual abuse charges
A teacher at an Iowa middle school has been arrested on charges related to a claim that he sexually abused a former student.
- Iowa Senate panel OKs bill on state mental health facilities
A Senate panel has approved a bill that could halt the upcoming closings of state mental health centers in Clarinda and Mount Pleasant.
- Gov. Branstad defends plan to give raises to some staffers
Gov. Terry Branstad is defending plans to give raises to some staffers in his office, arguing the budgeted money will be below previous administration costs.
- Police: Iowan faked pregnancy for money in adoption scam
Authorities have arrested an Ankeny woman accused of faking pregnancy to trick an Iowa couple into giving her money.
National News Headline
- Body-camera maker has financial ties to police chiefs
Taser International, the stun-gun maker emerging as a leading supplier of body cameras for police, has cultivated financial ties to police chiefs whose departments have bought the recording devices, raising a host of...
- Drew Peterson back in court in murder-for-hire plot
The former suburban Chicago police officer convicted of killing his third wife and suspected in his fourth spouse's disappearance returns to court Tuesday on charges of trying to hire someone to kill the prosecutor who...
- Quality of health care focus of NYC jail oversight hearing
New York City lawmakers are taking a hard look at the quality of health care inmates receive at the Rikers Island jail complex and whether the city should renew a $126.6 million contract with a private health provider.
- Execution of Georgia woman postponed; problem with drug
Georgia postponed its first execution of a woman in 70 years late Monday because of concerns about the drug to be used in the lethal injection.
- LA police chief: Man killed on Skid Row reached for gun
Police fatally shot a homeless man on Skid Row during a "brutal" videotaped struggle in which a rookie officer cried out that the man had grabbed his gun, the Los Angeles police chief said Monday.
- NASA spacecraft making first visit to dwarf planet Ceres
A NASA spacecraft is about to reach the end of a nearly eight-year journey and make the first rendezvous with a dwarf planet.
- Ferguson News Guide: No charges expected for policeman
The federal investigation of the police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, is expected to allege patterns of racial bias in the city's mostly white department. But the probe, nearing release, is likely to stop short of...
- Former Va. governor's appeal cites broad bribery definition
Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell said in court papers Monday that his conviction on several counts of public corruption was based on an overly broad definition of bribery and a flawed explanation of what constitutes an...
- Mom convicted of killing son, 5, by poisoning him with salt
A woman who blogged for years about her son's constant health woes was convicted Monday of poisoning him to death by force-feeding heavy concentrations of sodium through his stomach tube.
- Georgia woman nears execution for husband's murder
The execution of the first female in Georgia in 70 years was on hold Monday as the U.S. Supreme Court reviewed last-minute arguments by her lawyers that they hoped would persuade the nation's top justices to grant a stay.
- Le Mars earns state trip; Battle Creek, 'Bago going to Lincoln
Le Mars beat Spirit Lake to earn their first trip to the Iowa boys state basketball tournament since 2000. Winnebago and Battle Creek are among the Nebraska boys teams heading to Lincoln. See highlights and the SportsFource scoreboard.
- Unity Christian & South Central Calhoun girls win 2A openers
Top-ranked Unity Christian borrowed a page from its opponent and rolled to a victory in the opening game of the Class 2A tournament, 53-34. South Central Calhoun defeated IKM-Manning, 65-50 on the other side of the bracket.
- Newell-Fonda wins; Central Lyon falls in first round of 1A state tourney
Last year, Newell-Fonda defeated Colo-Nesco in the semifinal round of the Class 1A state tournament. This year, the Mustangs and Royals met in round one. Central Lyon was the only team in the top half of the bracket that wasn't in Des Moines last year.
- Morningside men's volleyball falls to St. Ambrose
The Morningside men's volleyball team fought, but fell in a five-setter with fifth-ranked St. Ambrose Sunday, 3-2.
- Late-game execution hurts Cyclones in loss
Most people won't argue with you if you tell them that the Big 12 is the best conference in college basketball. So Iowa State losing on the road to Kansas State, while surprising, isn't necessarily a shock.
- Siouxland crowns three South Dakota state wrestling champs
The South Dakota State Wrestling championships were this weekend, and Siouxland had three champions.
- UNI's comeback falls short against Wichita State
The 10th-ranked UNI men fell on the road Saturday, dropping a 74-60 decision to #11 Wichita State.
- Iowa tops Penn State in overtime; Iowa State, Northern Iowa fall
Iowa's Aaron White scored 21 points, including six free throws in overtime, and the Hawkeyes were able to scrape past Penn State 81-77 on Saturday night.
- Bandits open season with resounding win over Omaha
Johnny Bentley and Frederick Bruno each scored twice and the Sioux City Bandits opened their 2015 season with a resounding 62-13 win over Omaha.
- Western Christian, MVAO, South O'Brien punch tickets to state
See highlights of three Iowa substate finals, and check out the SportsFource Scoreboard.
Headlines from KTIV News