Local News Headlines
- Former UNI head Ben Allen named ISU interim president
Former University of Northern Iowa President Ben Allen will serve as interim president of Iowa State University following the resignation of Steven Leath.
- Once-struggling public hospital in Iowa opens $22M addition
Leaders of a Des Moines public hospital are celebrating the opening of a four-story addition that is part of a $60 million plan to rebuild and expand the facility.
- Company, US want Dakota Access pipeline lake crossing upheld
The company building the $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline and the Army Corps of Engineers want a judge to reject a request by American Indian tribes to revoke permission for the project to cross a Missouri River...
- Iowa's February unemployment rate drops to 3.2 percent
A new report says Iowa's unemployment rate dropped to 3.2 percent in February, its lowest level since 2001.
- Muscatine mayor's removal hearing to reconvene April 1
The mayor of Muscatine will have to wait until next month to defend herself to the City Council, which is considering her removal from office.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 11:40 a.m. CDT
A 19-year-old man has been given 60 days in jail on charges related to the shooting death of a 14-year-old Iowa girl. Court records say William Hines Jr. was sentenced Thursday in Vinton. He'd pleaded guilty to...
- Storms could spawn tornadoes across parts of Midwest, South
By JEFF MARTIN Associated Press Forecasters are warning of severe storms as a powerful weather system moves across the central United States.
- Man gets jail, probation for shooting death of Iowa girl
A 19-year-old man has been given 60 days in jail on charges related to the shooting death of a 14-year-old Iowa girl.
- Iowa man gets 30 years for hit-and-run fatal accident
A drunken Iowa driver who walked away from a fatal crash has been given 30 years in prison.
- Police find 2 bodies in central Iowa home
State agents are helping local officers investigate the deaths of two people whose bodies were found inside a home in Boone.
National News Headline
- Study: Chicago stop-and-frisk numbers drop, more work needed
A study of the Chicago Police Department's stop-and-frisk procedures reveals a dramatic decrease in the number of stops.
- US immigration judge grants asylum to Singapore teen blogger
An immigration judge in Chicago has granted asylum to a Singapore teen whose online posts criticizing his government landed him in jail.
- Man sentenced in death of pregnant ex-girlfriend in Hawaii
A judge in Hawaii has sentenced a man to life in prison with the possibility of parole in the murder of his ex-girlfriend who disappeared while pregnant with his child.
- Kentucky lawyer pleads guilty in massive disability scheme
A Kentucky lawyer accused of conspiring to defraud the government of $600 million in federal disability payments has pleaded guilty has entered a guilty plea.
- Harrison Ford says he was distracted when he flew over plane
Actor Harrison Ford told an air traffic controller he was distracted and concerned about turbulence from another aircraft when he mistakenly landed his small plane on a taxiway at a Southern California airport last month.
- Ex-Penn State president convicted over child-sex scandal
Former Penn State president Graham Spanier has been found guilty of one count of child endangerment over his handling of a child sex abuse complaint against retired assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
- Victim's husband appeals for calm after Wisconsin shooting
The suspect in a Wisconsin shooting spree that left four people dead has been identified, and court records show one of the victims was his wife's divorce lawyer.
- Arkansas inmates make longshot bid to avoid double execution
Two Arkansas inmates scheduled for lethal injections next month are asking the parole board to spare their lives in a longshot effort to halt an unprecedented plan to execute eight prisoners in a 10-day period.
- Sacramento man arrested in killing of 2 adults, 2 juveniles
Police detained a suspect in San Francisco just hours after finding four bodies, including two children, in a home 80 miles away in Sacramento.
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
A suburban Portland woman has pleaded guilty to assaulting a female passenger on a flight from Las Vegas.
- Morningside ninth in Learfield Director's Cup standings
Morningside College is in ninth place in the 2016-17 NAIA Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup standings following the completion of the fall and winter sports seasons.
- Hawkeyes beat Colorado in WNIT Sweet 16
Iowa defeated Colorado, 80-62, on Thursday night in Carver-Hawkeye Arena in the Sweet 16 of the WNIT. The Hawkeyes will host the Elite 8 on Sunday.
- Smith agrees to new contract at South Dakota
For mid-major basketball programs, success can be a double-edged sword. It's nice to win, but other programs are going to come after your coaches. South Dakota went through a roller coaster day on Wednesday with men's coach Craig Smith.
- Former Cherokee aces Koch & Ege sent to minors
Two Cherokee High School grads will start the baseball season in the minor leagues. Cody Ege and Matt Koch have both been sent to Triple-A after spending part of last season the majors.
- Smith turns down Drake to stay at South Dakota
Last season, South Dakota lost women's basketball coach Amy Williams to Nebraska after winning the WNIT. This year, the Coyote men made it to the NIT, and now another program is coming after their head coach.
- Morningside men rally past Briar Cliff in men's volleyball
Men's volleyball is a relatively new sport in Siouxland. Crosstown rivals Briar Cliff and Morningside squared off on Wednesday night. The Chargers had won seven of their last eight games while the Mustangs have lost four in a row.
- Cropley & Neustrom hit grand slams in Hawkeye victory
Junior Tyler Cropley and sophomore Robert Neustrom both hit grand slams to lead the University of Iowa baseball team to a 12-1 victory over Bradley on Wednesday night at Duane Banks Field.
- South Dakota's Flack to compete in slam dunk contest
University of South Dakota senior Tyler Flack has been selected to the Slam Dunk Championship roster for the 29th annual State Farm College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships at Grand Canyon University Arena in Phoenix.
- Explorers sign two left-handed pitchers
The Sioux City Explorers have re-signed LHP Cody Forsythe and signed LHP Bryan Radziewski to 2017 American Association contracts.
- Day two of Dan Lennon Invite features smaller schools
The Dan Lennon Invitational is a sanctioned high school meet in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota. That gave Siouxland schools in Class B plenty of opportunities for competition and titles.
Headlines from KTIV News