Local News Headlines
- This Hour: Latest Iowa news, sports, business and entertainment
A fire interrupted holiday shopping at a West Des Moines Target Thanksgiving night.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
A fire interrupted holiday shopping at a West Des Moines Target on Thanksgiving night. Greg Jones, deputy chief of the West Des Moines Fire Department, told the Register hat the fire was near a fryer. He said the building...
- Police: 1 injured following shooting in Fort Dodge
Authorities say a man has been injured following a shooting in Fort Dodge.
- Officials: Smoking appears to have caused Dubuque house fire
Authorities say smoking appears to have caused a house fire in Dubuque.
- Waterloo woman accused of robbing cellphone store with knife
A Waterloo woman has been accused of robbing a cellphone store with a knife.
- Fire at Target store in Iowa interrupts holiday shopping
A fire interrupted holiday shopping at a West Des Moines Target on Thanksgiving night.
- Iowa teacher accused of sexual exploitation resigns
An eastern Iowa teacher accused of sending suggestive messages to a teenage student has resigned.
- Mason City church's wellness programs take holistic approach
A Mason City church that began its health ministry nearly 20 years ago now offers many wellness programs, including yoga, centering prayer and healing touch.
- Grant will be used for sprucing up Ned Ashton House, park
A state grant of more than $154,000 will used to repair the historic Ned Ashton House in Iowa City and make landscaping improvements.
- 2 Iowans arrested over shooting in car
A West Liberty man has been accused of shooting his friend, and his friend has been accused of lying about how he got shot.
National News Headline
- Suspect in custody after shooting at Planned Parenthood
A gunman burst into a Planned Parenthood clinic and opened fire, launching several gunbattles and an hourslong standoff with police as patients and staff took cover under furniture and inside locked rooms. By the time the...
- Rain, ice coat parts of Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas
Heavy rain and icy conditions are likely to stick around through most of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend in parts of the central U.S. due to a slow-moving, complex weather system that's being blamed for at least 3...
- Hamstrung by Congress, Obama tries to clinch climate pact
President Barack Obama is trying to negotiate a legacy-making climate change pact this coming week in Paris with one hand tied behind his back. Congress can't even agree whether global warming is real.
- The Latest: 3 arrested in Chicago Black Friday protests
The latest on the aftermath of the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago police officer (all times local):
- Protest over Chicago teen's shooting ties up retail district
Hundreds of protesters blocked store entrances and shut down traffic in Chicago's ritziest shopping district on Black Friday to draw attention to the 2014 police killing of a black teenager who was shot 16 times by a...
- How Black Friday played out around the country
Black Friday, the unofficial start to the holiday shopping season, isn't always what people expect.
- Super Bowl of shopping is more like a scrimmage
The annual ritual of Black Friday, as we know it, is over.
- The Latest: Obama on clinic shooting: 'Enough is enough'
The latest on the shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado. (All times local):
- Long wait times plague Social Security disability process
Social Security disability benefits are an important part of America's safety net, paying an average of $540 a month to people who are too disabled to work. But millions of people have to go through lengthy appeals to...
- AP PHOTOS: A selection of pictures from the past week
By The Associated Press Highlights from the weekly AP photo report, a gallery featuring a mix of front-page photography, the odd image you might have missed and lasting moments our editors think you...
- Iowa completes perfect regular season; Armstrong throws four picks in loss
Propelled by two Jordan Canzeri third quarter touchdown runs, Iowa (12-0) handled Nebraska (5-7) to hoist the Heroes trophy for the second time in three years following a 28-20 win.
- Cincinnati gives Nebraska second loss of season
For a kid who grew up on Long Island, playing at Madison Square Garden is the dream.Troy Caupin has a soft spot for Barclays Center after his performance Friday night.
- McKay's 23 points leads Iowa State over Virginia Tech
Jameel McKay had one of his best games at Iowa State in front of his former coach.
- Notre Dame hands Iowa second-straight loss
V.J. Beachem is settling in nicely as a starter at Notre Dame.Beachem scored 16 points, Demetrius Jackson had 12 and No. 17 Notre Dame beat Iowa 68-62 in the consolation round of the AdvoCare Invitational on Friday night.
- Dayton holds off Iowa's late charge
Charles Cooke scored 22 points joining three other starters for Dayton (4-0) that scored double digits to hand Iowa (3-1) its first loss of the season, 82-77, in the opening round of the AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Florida.Hawkeye freshman Brady Ellingson scored 9 points off the bench including a three that gave Iowa its first lead of the lead game, 70-69, at the 3:49 mark in the second half. Iowa, in the midst of 16-2 run at that point, pushed the lead to 75-71 but was outscored...
- Iowa expects best shot from Nebraska in Heroes Game
Nebraska Cornhusker fans undoubtedly are hoping for Nebraska (5-6) to play spoilers Friday as the Iowa Hawkeyes (11-0) visit.Iowa is clinging to the fourth spot in the College Football Playoff Rankings, currently, as the Hawkeyes have already secured a spot in the Big Ten Championship game. Iowa joins Clemson as the only other FBS team yet to lose this season.For Iowa, a loss almost certainly takes the Hawkeyes out of the final four playoff picture as they've slowly staggered their way...
- Musketeers win in Des Moines to even record
The Sioux City Musketeers evened their record at 9-9 with a 4-1 win in Des Moines on Wednesday night. Four different players scored in the victory.
- UNI's Jacobson gets 200th win with Panthers
The University of Northern earned head coach Ben Jacobson his 200th career victory on Wednesday night in the McLeod Center with a 83-63 triumph over the Dubuque Spartans. Jacobson becomes the ninth Missouri Valley Conference coach to post 200 wins as a head coach in the league.
- Hawkeyes look to close out perfect regular season against Huskers
Fans want rivalry games to mean something at the end of the season. When Iowa goes to Nebraska Friday there will be national title implications and bowl bids on the line. Both teams have a lot to lose.
- Hawkeye basketball team to face tough field in Florida tourney
The Hawkeye men's basketball is unbeaten early in the season. Iowa takes a 3-0 record to take on Dayton in the eight-team AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Florida on Thanksgiving night which also features three ranked teams.