Local News Headlines
- Iowa man accused of assaulting wife
A 54-year-old northwest Iowa man has been accused of sexually abusing his wife and of forcing her to take pills that resulted in the termination of two pregnancies.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
An Iowa farmer says someone has stolen about $18,000 worth of soybeans from 18 acres on his farm in Illinois. Matt Schuster of La Motte says he's missing more than 1,600 bushels after someone took the crops in East...
- Woodbury County funding ruled conflict of interest
Woodbury County's attorney says it's a conflict of interest for the county to give public money to an agency headed by the county board chairman.
- Iowa man pleads guilty to Missouri bank robbery
An Iowa man has pleaded guilty to his part in a Missouri bank robbery after which the suspects left their loot in a tree.
- Northern Iowa county doubles beaver bounty to $50
Winnebago County in northern Iowa has doubled its bounty on beavers to $50.
- West Des Moines council moves to limit panhandling
The West Des Moines council is moving toward limits on panhandling at interstate ramps.
- Iowa man sentenced in child porn case
A 21-year-old Iowa man has been sentenced to 16 years and four months in federal prison for possessing child pornography.
- Michelle Obama asks students to vote early in Iowa
Michelle Obama is trying to give Democrats a boost in a key U.S. Senate race, urging college students in Iowa to vote early for Bruce Braley.
- 4-year-old girl seriously hurt in Iowa crash
A 4-year-old girl has been seriously injured in a two-vehicle crash in eastern Iowa.
- Iowa unemployment rate edges up to 4.6 percent
The unemployment rate in Iowa edged up slightly in September to 4.6 percent from 4.5 percent in August as the state's labor force grew but the number of workers filing for unemployment also increased.
National News Headline
- Hearing postponed for man suspected in 7 killings
A man who allegedly confessed to killing seven women in Indiana refused to respond to the judge during his initial court appearance Wednesday, prompting her to postpone it and to warn him he'd spend "the rest of his...
- Beaten Giants fan says he wants to walk normally
The San Francisco Giants fan who suffered a traumatic brain injury after being beaten by two Dodger fans says he is happy to be alive and wants to learn to walk and run normally again.
- Doctors differ on preteen suspect's mental state
Doctors disagree over whether the second of two 12-year-old girls charged with stabbing a classmate to please the fictional horror character Slender Man is fit to stand trial, a judge and attorneys said Wednesday.
- Experts: Autopsy shows close-range wound for Brown
Two experts say Michael Brown's official autopsy shows the 18-year-old was shot in the hand at close range the day he was killed by a Ferguson police officer.
- Attorney: North Korean detainee was treated well
The lawyer for an American arrested and held for nearly six months in North Korea for leaving a Bible at a nightclub says the man was treated well by the North Korean government and is in good health.
- Display of gruesome photos opens Arias retrial
Jurors at the sentencing retrial of convicted murderer Jodi Arias saw a series of gruesome photos that showed her ex-boyfriend's dead body crammed into a shower at his house - his throat slit.
- FedEx predicts increase in holiday deliveries
FedEx expects another record for holiday-season deliveries.
- Colorado girls make possible bid to join militants
Three teenage girls from suburban Denver flew to Europe in a possible bid to join Islamic State militants in Syria, and now authorities are looking at their friends to see if any have similar intentions.
- Methodist panel to hear appeal over gay wedding
A Methodist pastor who became a gay rights activist after he was disciplined for officiating at his son's wedding to another man will soon find out whether he can remain an ordained minister in the nation's...
- Ebola victim's sister says hospital denied request
The family of the first Ebola victim to die in the United States says the hospital that cared for him has refused for weeks to release lab results showing the effects of an experimental drug treatment, fanning their...
- Hinton & K-P open volleyball regionals with wins
Hinton and Kingsley-Pierson were among the winner's on the opening night of high school volleyball regionals in Iowa. See the highlights and Tuesday's SportsFource scoreboard.
- Briar Cliff goaltender sets record in win over Morningside
The Briar Cliff women's soccer team pitched its fifth straight shutout Tuesday, beating Morningside 1-0. McKayla Wessling scored the only goal of the match in the 54th minute.Kalynn Sortino tied the BCU school record for most shutouts in a season with 10.
- GPAC preseason coaches basketball polls released
The Morningside women and Midland men were the preseason favorites in the Great Plains Athletic Conference coaches basketball polls released on Tuesday. See the entire polls for the GPAC men's and women's teams.
- New Nebraska AP high school football rankings
Here are the Associated Press Nebraska high school football rankings in Classes A through D-2. The rankings are based on a formula that includes ratings from the Omaha World-Herald and Lincoln Journal Star plus experts for each class.
- Nebraska finally gets day game after five straight at night
Nebraska hasn't won a conference football title in 15 years. The Huskers trail Minnesota by a game in the Big Ten's West Division standings but Nebraska controls their own destiny if they win out, starting with Saturday's home game against Rutgers.
- Morningside stays #1 in NAIA poll; Wegher wins honors
Morningside stays No. 1 in this week's NAIA football poll. The Mustangs improved their record to 6-0 last Saturday with a 50-7 blowout victory against a Dakota Wesleyan University team that was ranked 16th in the nation. Running back Brandon Wegher was also named the NAIA player of the week.
- New Iowa AP high school football poll
See the top ten teams in the Associated Press Iowa high school football polls of the 2014 season in Classes 4A through 8-man.
- Nebraska runs away from Northwestern in second half
Nebraska needed a game-winning hail mary to Jordan Westerkamp to beat Northwestern last season, a play that Big Red fans now affectionately refer to as "The Westercatch." The Huskers appeared to be headed for another close finish with Northwestern yesterday until Ameer Abdullah took over.
- Iowa hurt by turnovers, penalties in loss to Maryland
Iowa suffered their first Big Ten loss of the season yesterday, falling to Maryland 38-31. It was the teams' first ever meeting, with the Terrapins snapping Iowa's four-game road winning streak.
- Sioux Center tops Central Lyon/GLR in defensive struggle
Fifth-ranked Sioux Center went to Rock Rapids and topped Central Lyon/George little rock Friday night, 7-6.
Headlines from KTIV News