Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press at 9:40 p.m. CDT
Opening day of bike ride across Iowa marred by death of bicycle rider. Iowa State Patrol says rider was killed near Glenwood on Sunday morning.
- Bicycle rider dies after collision with truck Sunday
A bicyclist participating in the annual ride across Iowa was killed Sunday after colliding with a pickup truck near Glenwood.
- Des Moines police investigate fatal shooting Sunday morning
Des Moines police are investigating a fatal shooting that took place early Sunday.
- Wildlife refuge to use Olympics to teach about animal skills
The DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge is offering visitors a chance to test their athletic skills against area wildlife.
- Drone helps rescuers find Iowa man lost along a river
The new drone Kossuth County invested in helped authorities rescue a man and his granddaughter from the Upper Des Moines River earlier this month.
- 3 tornadoes confirmed in rural eastern Iowa Saturday
The National Weather Service has confirmed at least three tornadoes moved across eastern Iowa during Saturday's storms.
- Waterloo group seeks to install security cameras around city
Some Waterloo residents are teaming up with a city council member in an effort to get security cameras installed around the city.
- Nebraska men charged in Iowa store robbery, shooting
Iowa authorities say two Bellevue, Nebraska, men have been charged in warrants with attempted murder, robbery and assault in the robbery of a Council Bluffs convenience store where a shot was fired at the clerk.
- Iowa bike ride across state begins in Glenwood
The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa has begun.
- Gun found in bag at eastern Iowa regional airport
Authorities at an eastern Iowa regional airport say they've confiscated an unloaded handgun from a passenger's bag.
National News Headline
- 'Like a freight train': California wildfire guts 18 homes
Flames raced down a steep hillside "like a freight train," leaving smoldering remains of homes and forcing thousands to flee the wildfire churning through tinder-dry canyons in Southern California, authorities said Sunday.
- Dallas Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona
A bus carrying Dallas Cowboys staffers but no players and a van collided Sunday on an Arizona highway, killing four people in the van, authorities said.
- The Latest: Central Coast wildfire destroys 6 homes
The Latest on California wildfires (all times local):
- 28 injured in crash involving bus, Jeep and tractor-trailer
More than two dozen people have been injured in a crash involving a bus, a Jeep and a tractor-trailer.
- Hollywood stars hold climate rally ahead of DNC
More than 1,000 people joined Hollywood stars including Shailene Woodley, Susan Sarandon and Danny Glover in Philadelphia last night on the eve of the Democratic National Convention and vowed to keep fighting for climate...
- Thousands of pro-Sanders, anti-fracking marchers hit streets
Thousands of demonstrators took to Philadelphia's sweltering streets Sunday, cheering, chanting and beating drums in the first major protests ahead of the Democratic National Convention, as the city wilted during a...
- The Latest: Hollywood stars hold climate rally ahead of DNC
The Latest on demonstrations around Philadelphia ahead of the Democratic National Convention (all times local):
- Heat wave, drought showing no signs of slowing down
The heat wave gripping parts of the country including Philadelphia, where tens of thousands are descending upon the city for the Democratic National Convention this week, is not going away anytime soon and will hit a peak...
- Crash kills Nebraska punter, former Michigan State punter
Nebraska punter Sam Foltz and former Michigan State punter Mike Sadler died in a car crash in Wisconsin after working at a kicking clinic, a sheriff's department official said Sunday. LSU kicker Colby Delahoussaye was...
- 2 years after Ferguson, recriminations roil governor's race
It has been two years since a white police officer fatally shot black teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, touching off days of rioting, but the political repercussions from the incident have only intensified,...
- Husker punter Foltz killed in car crash
Sam Foltz was gearing up for his senior season as the reigning Big Ten Punter of the Year. On Saturday night, Foltz was killed in a car accident in Wisconsin.
- Former Bandit Brown wins IFL title with Sioux Falls
Sioux City's indoor football season has been done for over a month now. But two former Bandits players squared off in Saturday's Indoor Football League United Bowl.
- Explorers swept by Fargo
Mike Gilmartin and Luke Bailey each clubbed two-run home runs, Josh Mazzola and K.D. Kang added RBIs and Fargo-Moorhead completed the sweep of the Explorers with a 7-1 win on Sunday.
- Stampede outlast Northwest Iowa to book spot in MFA title game
The Stampede had outscored Northwest Iowa 80-0 in their two previous meetings, but Sioux City had to fight out a 21-12 win over the Bulldogs in Saturday's MFA semifinal game.
- West Sioux wins state baseball opener
Porter Hummel notched 13 strikeouts on the mound, and added a triple and a run scored at the plate, as West Sioux topped Edgewood-Colesburg in a Class 1A quarterfinal on Saturday.
- Fargo hits walk-off home run to down Explorers
K.D. Kang's only hit of the night was a walk-off, solo home run and Fargo-Moorhead avoided a collapse in a 7-6 win over Sioux City on Saturday.
- Fargo snaps Explorers six-game winning streak
The Sioux City Explorers opened their eight game road trip with a 5-1 loss to Fargo-Moorhead on Friday night. The loss snapped Sioux City's six game winning streak.
- Remsen St. Mary's beats Highland in state baseball opener
It was a back-and-forth contest in the Class 1A quarterfinals as the Remsen St. Mary’s Hawks topped the Highland Huskies, 10-5 Friday night at Principal Park.
- Akron-Westfield falls to Kee in 1A championship game
Second-ranked Kee beat number-1 ranked Akron-Westfield, 7-3, on Friday to win the Class 1A softball championship. The Westerners came up short in their bid for their seventh state title in school history.
- Explorers jump Joplin for sixth straight win
The Sioux City Explorers completed a three game sweep over the Joplin Blasters at Mercy Field at Lewis and Clark Park, getting the 6-1 victory on Thursday night.
Headlines from KTIV News