Local News Headlines
- Iowa governor, feds reach deal on health expansion
Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad says he has reached a deal with federal authorities to expand low income health care.
- Police: Iowa woman stole prescription medication
An Iowa City medical assistant has been accused of taking prescription pain medication from a person.
- Officials remain cautiously optimistic on revenues
A panel of Iowa budget experts is expecting tax revenue to rise in the next fiscal year.
- Following revamp, Mega Millions hits $400M jackpot
The Mega Millions jackpot is the second-largest in the game's history and comes less than two months after the game made changes aimed at inflating its jackpots.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
Iowa's public pension system is in pretty good shape according to a new report. The analysis from the Iowa Policy Project says latest actuarial review of the pension system shows the state has 81 percent of the assets...
- Iowans asks for EPA hearing on ethanol in Iowa
Iowa's governor and the state's entire congressional delegation are asking the Obama administration to hold a hearing in Iowa to discuss the Environmental Protection Agency's proposal to reduce ethanol...
- Officials: 7 puppies rescued from Mason City bin
Officials say they've begun the adoption process for seven puppies found cold and wet in a storage bin on the side of a street in Mason City.
- Chinese company worker accused of stealing seed
Federal authorities in Iowa have arrested a Florida man working for a Chinese company and charged him with conspiracy to steal trade secrets.
- New report says Iowa pension fund in good shape
A new report says Iowa's public pension system remains in strong fiscal health.
- Police probe death of Iowa man along Ill. freeway
Illinois State Police say an investigation into the death of an Iowa man won't include an examination into why his body was discovered 12 hours after motorists first reported seeing him along the side of an Illinois...
National News Headline
- Sentence in Texas teen's fatal DWI wreck stirs ire
"Affluenza," the affliction cited by a psychologist to argue that a North Texas teenager from a wealthy family should not be sent to prison for killing four pedestrians while driving drunk, is not a recognized diagnosis...
- Feds: Ex-soldier stole military IDs for militia
A Minnesota National Guardsman and Iraq War veteran charged with fraud for allegedly stealing personal information of roughly 400 members of his former Army unit had worked in intelligence, where he likely was responsible...
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus lines in nationwide sweep
Drivers at one passenger bus company routinely worked more than 800 miles without rest. Maintenance at another company was so shoddy that one bus drove despite glaring evidence of brake problems.
- California prostitutes win victim compensation
Spurred by emotional testimony from sex workers, California officials voted Thursday to change a 1990s-era anti-crime regulation and allow prostitutes to receive money from a victim compensation fund if they're raped...
- Last moments recounted of official killed in crash
In the final moments of her life, Hawaii Health Director Loretta Fuddy clung to the hand of her deputy after a small plane taking them back to Honolulu crashed in the ocean off the island of Molokai.
- Ex-DC teacher pleads guilty to child porn charges
A former Washington private school teacher who was once featured on the FBI's list of most wanted fugitives pleaded guilty Thursday to child pornography charges and faces decades in prison.
- Feds: Ex-soldier stole military IDs for militia
A Minnesota National Guardsman and Iraq war veteran charged with fraud for allegedly stealing personal information of roughly 400 members of his former Army unit was likely responsible for analyzing the military's...
- Navy investigator to plead guilty in fraud case
A senior Navy investigator will plead guilty to bribery charges for accepting prostitution services and expensive trips in exchange for providing information and advice to an Asian defense contractor at the center of a...
- Wis. man gets 145 years for child sex assaults
A southeast Wisconsin man who recorded himself sexually assaulting six young children gave a slight smirk as a judge admonished him for his crimes, leaving the judge taken aback for a moment before he sentenced the Racine...
- Feds try to smooth bumpy health care transition
Anticipating more health care disruptions, the Obama administration Thursday announced a batch of measures intended to help consumers avoid lapses in their care and coverage as the president's overhaul takes effect in...
- SBL grapplers win twice; North & West get BB wins
Watch highlights of the #8 Sgt. Bluff-Luton wrestling team and see basketball action from Sioux City North and West; plus the SportsFource scoreboard.
- Iowa State women down Iowa, 83-70
Brynn Williamson scored a career-high 21 points and 17th-ranked Iowa State beat No. 21 Iowa 83-70 Thursday night for its best start in 12 years.
- Iowa's McCabe wants to win at Hilton
The Hawkeye men won last year but Iowa State has beaten Iowa five straight times at Hilton Coliseum. Two years ago, the Cyclones jumped to a 24-point first half lead and coasted to a ten-point win.
- Pelini says Husker fans appreciate team
Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini officially accepted and invitation to the Gator Bowl on Thursday. Nebraska is playing 23rd-ranked Georgia for the second straight year.
- Muskies to hold Teddy Bear Toss on SaturdayThe Sioux City Musketeers will host their annual Teddy Bear Toss, to benefit the local Toys For Tots program. The event takes place on Saturday night, December 14th.
- New Iowa girls basketball rankings
See the new basketball rankings from the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.
- Hawkeyes happy to be playing on New Year's Day
It's finals week at Iowa, so there's not a lot of football activities for the Hawkeyes. Next week, they'll start getting ready to play LSU in the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day.
- Pierce boys welcome visitors from Australia
Knox Grammar School flew 19 hours from Sydney, Australia to Nebraska, where they played Pierce on Tuesday night.
- Sports Fource Extra highlights & Tuesday's scores
Watch highlights of ten Siouxland basketball games and see the SportsFource scoreboard from Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota.
- Iowa & ISU meet as ranked teams on Friday
When Iowa visits Iowa State on Friday, it will be the first time in 26 years since they've met as ranked teams.
Headlines from KTIV News