Local News Headlines
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
Demolition has begun on two Iowa City cottages that date to the 1850s, months after officials declined to designate them historic landmarks. The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports crews started work Wednesday to demolish the...
- Paul running hard on civil liberties after his Senate gambit
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is fighting to transform his opposition to government surveillance programs into political momentum as the 2016 presidential campaign gets underway.
- Des Moines water utility sets nitrate-removal record
Des Moines Water Works says the organization has set a record for using equipment that removes nitrate from the water so it's safe to drink.
- Stainless steel artwork delivered to Marshalltown
A 34-foot-tall stainless steel artwork will soon stand in Marshalltown.
- Body found in burning car in Dubuque
Authorities say emergency crews have found a body in a burning car on property owned by the Dubuque Regional Airport.
- Runoff into Raccoon River causes E. coli spike at lake
Officials have closed a Des Moines lake to swimming after water samples showed high levels of E. coli.
- Crews demolish Iowa City cottages dating to 1850s
Demolition has begun on two Iowa City cottages that date to the 1850s, months after officials declined to designate them historic landmarks.
- Legislative session drags out with tough budget talks
There is still no adjournment in sight for Iowa's lawmakers, as budget talks appear likely to drag into June.
- Iowan pleads guilty to neglecting dependent person
A 49-year-old man has pleaded guilty to neglecting a dependent person in northern Iowa.
- BNSF, power plant owner settle long-running rate dispute
Lincoln Electric System and other owners of a coal-fired power plant in Wyoming have settled their rates dispute with BNSF Railway.
National News Headline
- Comer concedes governor's race, Bevin is Republican nominee
James Comer has conceded the governor's race in Kentucky, ending a tumultuous Republican primary and handing the nomination to Louisville businessman Matt Bevin.
- Latest on flooding: Oklahoma troopers rescue, arrest man
By The Associated Press 7:55 a.m. (CDT)
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on sale for $100M
Neverland Ranch is up for sale.
- Officials eye river levels in Texas, with focus on Houston
Officials are closely monitoring the levels of rivers in Texas engorged by the deluge of last weekend.
- Timeline of the career of ex-US House Speaker Dennis Hastert
A federal grand jury has accused former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert of agreeing to pay $3.5 million in hush money to keep an unidentified person silent about "prior misconduct" by the Illinois Republican. Before the...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
Female CEOs are outpacing their male colleagues in pay, although they remain vastly outnumbered in the top echelons of American companies.
- Anthrax shipments came from military site in Utah desert
The U.S. Army's mistaken shipment of live anthrax samples to government and commercial laboratories occurred at a military post in a desolate stretch of the Utah desert that has been testing chemical weapons since it...
- Toughest words aren't tough enough for 2 spelling bee champs
For the second straight year, the Scripps National Spelling Bee ended with co-champions each holding onto one side of the golden trophy while they were showered with confetti.
- Psychiatrist: Colorado shooter knew what he was doing
James Holmes was mentally ill but legally sane when he opened fire in a suburban Denver movie theater, killing 12 people and wounding scores of others, a court-appointed psychiatrist has testified.
- Republican Wyoming on board with federal sage grouse policy
Many Republicans are wary of a large federal effort to protect the greater sage grouse - but not the Republican governor of Wyoming, the state with the biggest share of the birds and more energy development in their...
- Siouxland boys soccer teams advance to substate finals
Ranked teams from Sioux City West and Bishop Heelan were among the winners in the Iowa boys soccer substate semfinals on Thursday. See the highlights and the SportsFource scoreboard.
- Auburn Montgomery wins second straight NAIA softball title
Second-seeded Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (46-9) defeated third-seeded Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 10-0 in six innings to win the NAIA Softball World Series held at Morningside College in Sioux City.
- Hawkeyes ready for first NCAA baseball appearance in 25 years
The Hawkeyes are in the NCAA baseball tournament for the first time in 25 years. Iowa will face Oregon in their opening game on Friday afternoon.
- North's Neustrom named Gatorade Iowa Baseball Player of the Year
The Gatorade Company, in collaboration with USA TODAY High School Sports, announced Robert Neustrom of Sioux City North High School as its 2014-15 Gatorade Iowa Baseball Player of the Year.
- X's top T-Bones for third straight win
The Sioux City Explorers exploded for nine runs vs the T-Bones in Kansas City while holding them scoreless 9-0 Wednesday night.
- Heelan gets walkoff win over Harlan; East splits with SBL
Bishop Heelan opened the softball season with a walkoff win over Harlan while East and Sgt. Bluff-Luton split a baseball doubleheader. See the highlights and Wednesday's SportsFource scoreboard.
- Lindsey Wilson to face Auburn-Montgomery in NAIA Softball World Series final
Lindsey Wilson (KY) stayed alive in the elimination bracket at the NAIA Softball World Series and will face defending champion Auburn-Montgomery for the title.
- East & North boys advance in substate soccer
Sioux City East and North won their boys substate soccer openers on Tuesday. See the highlights and the SportsFource soccer scoreboard.
- North baseball team opens season with shutout of LeMars
Third-ranked Sioux City North opened the baseball season with a 6-0 win over LeMars. See the highlights and the SportsFource scoreboard.
- Explorers score late to down Kansas City
The Sioux City Explorers scored a run in the ninth inning to beat the Kansas City T-Bones, 2-1, on Tuesday night at Community America Ballpark.
Headlines from KTIV News