Local News Headlines
- Des Moines police get money card scam complaints
Police says more Des Moines residents and businesses are being targeted by scams that involve money card payments.
- West Des Moines district considers closing school
One of West Des Moines' first elementary schools would close under a budget-cutting proposal by the school district.
- Historians seek revival of studying the Midwest
A group of historians is warning of the loss of Middle America's contemporary history and calling for a revival of academic study of the Midwest.
- Nebraska, Iowa move to daylight-saving time
It's time to spring forward again, as the country makes the switch to daylight-saving time.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
If you think this was a brutal winter, there's data to back it up: Iowa officials say it was the ninth coldest in the state since record-keeping began more than 140 years ago. Harry Hillaker, state climatologist with...
- Suspect being sought in homicide in Yankton
Yankton police say they are investigating a homicide and searching for a suspect.
- Federal authorities charge man with double killing
Federal authorities have charged a 25-year-old man with the killing of his parents last month on the Meskwaki Settlement in central Iowa.
- Officials: No injuries after Iowa train derailment
Officials say no one was injured following a freight train derailment in the northeast Iowa city of Shell Rock.
- Iowa officials: Past winter 9th coldest on record
If you think this was a brutal winter, there's data to back it up: Iowa officials say it was the ninth coldest in the state since record-keeping began more than 140 years ago.
- Ark. firm recalls 29,200 pounds of chicken product
An Arkansas firm is recalling about 29,200 pounds of seasoned raw, chicken breast strips due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen.
National News Headline
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
Sheila MacRae starred on the Broadway stage and in films, yet it was her small-screen role as the tolerant and brassy wife of a Brooklyn bus driver for which she is most remembered.
- AP Exclusive: Counties undermine prison efforts
California counties are confounding the state's court-ordered efforts to sharply reduce its inmate population by sending state prisons far more convicts than anticipated, including a record number of people with second...
- Zirkle retakes lead in Iditarod in run to coast
A runner-up from the last two years and a four-time champion continued to play leapfrog Saturday at the head of the pack in the 2014 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends
A marathon spelling bee between two Kansas City-area students who exhausted the initial word list last month ended after 29 more rounds Saturday when the eventual runner-up stumbled over the word "stifling."
- Bigger pig pens create challenges for farmers
Pigs cluster around a food stall like Black Friday shoppers waiting for the store to open. One pushes impatiently against the locked door with her snout, waiting for the sow inside to finish eating so she can take her turn.
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
A pregnant South Carolina woman pointed to the ocean, locked the doors and rolled up the windows, telling her three children she was "trying to take them to a better place" as she drove her minivan into the surf,...
- Richardsson wins 50K race
Sweden's Daniel Richardsson showed his strength Saturday when winning the classic 50-kilometer race at Holmenkollen in 2 hours 7 minutes and 29.5 seconds with a strong sprint finish, beating World Cup leader Martin...
- Olympic champion Shiffrin wins World Cup slalom
Olympic champion Mikaela Shiffrin won a World Cup slalom on Saturday to retain her season-long title with one race remaining.
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
Spring is closer than you think, and here's a sure sign: Daylight saving time arrives this weekend.
- Tea party challengers struggle to continue success
By THOMAS BEAUMONT Associated Press Four years after the tea party rocked the political world by ousting several prominent Republicans in Congress, the ultra-conservative movement finds itself with...
- Pierce wins 2nd straight C1 title, upsets No. 1 Minden 69-60
Junior Rachelle Tucker paced Pierce with 23 points and 13 rebounds, leading the 7th seeded Bluejays past No.1 Minden 69-60 to claim their second straight C1 title on Saturday.
- Western Christian reflects on third straight 2A title
Friday night No.1 Western Christian became just the sixth team in the 5-player era to win three straight titles, defeating 4th ranked Hudson 79-55 2A Championship.
- Kane leads on Senior Day, Cyclones edge Cowboys in OT
Naz Long forced overtime with a 30-foot 3-pointer at the buzzer, DeAndre Kane scored five of his 27 points in the closing seconds, and No. 16 Iowa State overcame a 16-point deficit to beat Oklahoma State in overtime 85-81 on Saturday.
- Crofton, Pierce & Wynot advance to NSAA title games
Crofton and Pierce have advanced to Saturday's championship games at the Nebraska girls state basketball tournament in Lincoln. See the highlights and scores.
- Western Christian wins third straight 2A title
Western Christian claimed title No. 3 in Class 2A with a 79-55 victory over Hudson in a game the Wolfpack dominated by getting the ball inside and scoring in transition.
- Newell-Fonda falls in Class 1A title game
Riley Kilbride scored 16 points and sank the tie-breaking free throws with 11.8 seconds left as third-ranked Notre Dame beat No. 1 Newell-Fonda 57-54 in a tense, back-and-forth 1A title game.
- Iowa's McCabe says senior day will be emotional
It's senior day for Iowa on Saturday against Illinois. Bishop Heelan grad Zach McCabe is one of three Hawkeyes who will play their final game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- Ten Siouxland girls teams open play at NSAA tourney
Ten Siouxland teams opened play at the Nebraska girls state basketball tournament on Thursday in Lincoln. See the highlights and all the first round scores.
- Musketeers clinch playoff spot by beating Des Moines
Jared Thomas scored all four goals as the Sioux City Musketeers clinched a playoff spot in the United States Hockey League with a 4-1 win over Des Moines on Thursday.
- Hawkeyes lose at Michigan State on senior night
Keith Appling scored in double figures for the first time in more than five weeks and No. 22 Michigan State looked healthier than it had in months in an 86-76 victory over No. 24 Iowa on Thursday night.
Headlines from KTIV News