Local News Headlines
- Police charged man with Ottumwa shooting death
Police say authorities have arrested a man near St. Louis who was sought in connection with the shooting death of a man in Ottumwa, Iowa.
- Iowa teen accused of attacking grandmother gets probation
An 18-year-old Newton woman who was accused of attacking her grandmother has been given a deferred judgment and two years of probation.
- Trial to begin for woman accused of fatally stabbing brother
A trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday for a 24-year-old woman accused of stabbing to death her brother in Fort Dodge.
- News Minute: Here is the latest Iowa news from The Associated Press
Waterloo officials want to seek a federal grant to restore three firefighters' jobs cut from this year's budget. The City Council will be asked today to approve the grant submission. The grant would cover the full...
- Man scheduled to be sentenced for Burlington slaying
A 43-year-old Fort Madison man is scheduled to be sentenced Monday after pleading guilty last month to voluntary manslaughter.
- Waterloo may seek grant to restore firefighter positions
The Waterloo department wants to seek a federal grant to restore three firefighters jobs cut from this year's budget.
- Johnston couple claim $1 million Powerball prize
A Johnston couple have claimed a $1 million Powerball prize they won in the New Year's Eve drawing.
- Northeastern Iowa school board OKs design of $10M facility
A northeastern Iowa school board has approved design plans for a new $10 million facility.
- New look taken at drowning of handcuffed suspect in Missouri
The death of a handcuffed Iowa suspect who went overboard as a Missouri State Highway Patrol boat was transporting him is getting a fresh look from a special prosecutor.
- Bald eagles return to Iowa again as they migrate
Iowa bird watchers will again be able to spot bald eagles this winter as they visit in search of warmer weather.
National News Headline
- 2 small planes crash-land off Hawaii; all aboard survive
Two small planes ran out of fuel and crash-landed into the Pacific Ocean off Hawaii, but the five people aboard both aircraft survived, authorities said.
- Nor'easter threatens Northeast with up to 2 feet of snow
Officials cautioned Northeast residents to not be misled by a relatively smooth Monday morning commute, and pressed their cautions to prepare for a "crippling and potentially historic" storm that could bury communities...
- Panic attack, bad back: Theater shooting brings jury excuses
One prospective juror said she had a panic attack. Another claimed to have a bad back. A third is in the military and worried he would be deployed during the trial of Colorado theater shooter James Holmes.
- Seekers of the Hollywood Sign disrupt nearby neighborhood
Like pilgrims flocking to a holy shrine, they come from all over the world to pay homage, not to a deity but to something similar - the people they see on TV and in the movies.
- Sex-abuse civil trial to unveil Boy Scout 'perversion' files
Previously sealed Boy Scout "perversion" files spanning 16 years could soon be in the public eye as part of a negligence lawsuit set for trial Monday that a victim of sex abuse filed against the organization.
- Technology improves avalanche gear for backcountry skiers
As outdoor recreation companies increasingly cater to skiers and snowboarders who like to venture beyond the groomed slopes at ski resorts and tackle backcountry terrain, they've put a special emphasis on gear and...
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in Miami
Despite being a relative pageant newcomer, Miss Colombia Paulina Vega has been crowned Miss Universe, beating out first runner-up Miss USA Nia Sanchez and contestants from more than 80 other countries.
- Federal judge stays Alabama gay marriage ruling for 2 weeks
A federal judge has put a temporary hold on her decision that overturned Alabama's gay marriage ban, but indicated she will soon answer a key question: Must state probate judges issue marriage licenses to same-sex...
- Residents: Police shortage is a security risk for Mardi Gras
Throughout the quieter parts of the French Quarter, residents and businesses have posted signs that read "Caution: Walk in Large Groups. We (heart) N.O.P.D. We Just Need More."
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in Miami
Miss Colombia Paulina Vega, a relative pageant newcomer, has been crowned Miss Universe, beating out first runner-up Miss USA Nia Sanchez and contestants from more than 80 other countries at Sunday's pageant in Miami.
- King of the Cage results: DeVall wins; main event ends in dramatic fashion
Saturday night in Sloan, Iowa, MMA circuit King of the Cage returned to the WinnaVegas Casino. The main event, featuring Le Mars native Matt Gabel fighting for the promotion's interim middleweight championship, ended in dramatic fashion.
- Hawkeyes can't complete comeback against Purdue
Saturday in West Lafayette, Ind., Iowa fell to Purdue 67-63. The Hawkeyes played much of the game without key starter Aaron White, who suffered a stinger in the first half and played just seven minutes.
- Iowa suffers setback at Purdue
Rapheal Davis scored 16 of his 24 points in the first half to lead the Purdue Boilermakers to a 67-63 victory over No. 25 Iowa on Saturday.
- Iowa State upset by Texas Tech
Devaugntah Williams scored a career-high 22 points and Toddrick Gotcher added 17, leading Texas Tech over No. 9 Iowa State 78-73 Saturday for its first Big 12 win.
- Nebraska tops Michigan State behind Petteway's 32
Terran Petteway scored a season-high 32 points, Shavon Shields added 21 and short-handed Nebraska held off Michigan State 79-77 on Saturday.
- South Sioux girls win RCC tournament title; North tops CBTJ
See highlights of the South Sioux City girls' RCC tournament win over Omaha Gross and the North boys' victory over TJ. Plus, check out Saturday's scores on the SportsFource Scoreboard.
- MMA fights return to WinnaVegas Saturday
M-M-A's "King of the Cage" promotion returns to WinnaVegas Casino Saturday with Le Mars native Matt Gabel fighting in the main event. Gable is hoping to become the "King of the Cage's" middleweight champion while trying to advance to the next stage in MMA.
- SportsFource Extra; Friday's highlights & scores
Watch highlights of nine Siouxland high school basketball games and see Friday's SportsFource scoreboard from Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota.
- South Sioux girls win while boys lose; Heelan girls top East
Iowa and Nebraska boys and girls high school basketball scores.
- New Iowa girls basketball rankings released
Week of 1/22 Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union girls basketball rankings. The rankings show the top-15 teams in each class with their win-loss and previous ranking from the week prior.
Headlines from KTIV News